Fossils & Diamonds

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Fossils & Diamonds
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #0
In order to make the unbearable expanses of time pass more swiftly in anticipation of Avernum 4, I've frittered away an impressive amount of time in the last few days indulging in various fruitless activities.

One of the manifestations of this malinvestment was in poking around on the internet. I found an old link to a now-defunct website of Richard White's, and located a cache of it from five years ago on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20001010030053/http://www.es.co.nz/~whiterm/home.html

Apart from the exciting preview of Galactic Core :rolleyes: , there was a demo here of a game I've never heard of before: Rock Solid, from 1996:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970804162212/www.es.co.nz/~whiterm/RockSolid.hqx

I've played the first two levels. You run a diamond-mining operation. You start with a limited budget, and use the funds to dig tunnels, build conveyor belts, and… um… that's it, in order to get the diamonds back to your headquarters.

Oh. You can also build scaffolding, and blow up chunks of rock with dynamite. Gotta love that scaffolding!

IMAGE(http://web.archive.org/web/19991109051835/www.es.co.nz/~whiterm/Rock2L.GIF)

It's mildly entertaining, and rather a nice surprise to find a "new" unsupported unregisterable Richard White game from ten years ago. It even runs okay in Classic.

Okay. I'm ready for Avernum 4 now…

[ Saturday, December 10, 2005 15:50: Message edited by: IRA Witch Herd ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
The critics hail Rock Solid as Richard White's best game since... before... made prior to but discovered after Galactic Core! "More fun than Homeland!" raves one reviewer. "Homeland isn't by Richard White, you dolt!" raves another. "This was the best twenty minutes I've wasted in at least an hour!" raves still a third.

Seriously, though, this game was kind of fun. Kind of on par with Lost Souls, although probably not quite as good (and with terrible animations to boot).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #2
Yes, the diamonds dripping along wasn't too well executed, with half-piles of diamonds appearing at conveyor belt joints and so on. It's also inconvenient that you can't click and drag to create a row of belts, or shovel out an area, you have to click for each individual block.

Level 8 was pretty fun. I've had trouble with 2-7, and, quite frankly, couldn't finish them. Good thing that his site had a page showing all the level codes so you can skip a dozen at a time:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970803120529/www.es.co.nz/~whiterm/Rock2.html

Oh dear. I just had a horrible realization. This forum is "A discussion board for the strategy games Ocean Bound, Lost Souls, and Galactic Core." Rock Solid isn't mentioned! We've overstepped the bounds ordained by the site administrators! We've called down destruction upon us all! We just had to cross that line, didn't we, just for the thrill of being rebellious! And now we're going to pay the terrible, terrible price! My account will be banned, and Kelandon will be pulled down along with me as an accessory after the fact! Oh, thank the Fates, all ye who have not yet posted here! You have unwittingly saved yourselves from our doom!

…Yeah, that'll be the day. :rolleyes:

Let's just pretend "Rock Solid" falls within the cosily nebulous bounds of "Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?"
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #3
We? We? You started the topic. :P

quote:
From the CoC:
+ Discussion of illegal activities.
+ Depictions of sexually explicit material.
+ Flooding the forums with lots of topics and posts about nothing legitimate.
Speaks for itself.

-----

Maybe Rock Bottom was the prequel to GC?

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #4
I remember Rock Solid. It was a good game. Well, at the time it was. Weird how I played it back in or around 96 not knowing who Richard White was. If he had stuck to games like that, perhaps he would not have transcended reality.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Rock Solid is to Richard White Games as jelly bean capacitors (fully charged) are to the Maginot Line.

—Alorael, who hopes this makes everything clear.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #6
I also played a Rock Solid demo, but I never thought that would be a game that has something to do with Spidweb or Richard White! :eek:

I think it´s a good game, but I´m stuck in only about Lvl 22!!! :( :(

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
Admit it, Ichsi: Rock Solid didn't exist until yesterday.

The force is strong in this one.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #8
IMAGE(http://starwars.deepthi.com/images/star-wars/JAR-JAR-BINKS.jpg)

Lookie lookie, Senator: the-sa Mac Garden have the Rockee Solid gamey! And it gotsey the four-and-half starsies!

http://mac.the-underdogs.org/index.php?show=game&id=736
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #9
Ladies and gentlemen, our order has been vouchsafed a new logo, from the most unimpeachable of sources (namely, the mighty madness of Icshi, who is able to create eight-year-old websites retroactively):
IMAGE(http://web.archive.org/web/19970803120343/www.es.co.nz/~whiterm/About.GIF)

To see this image in its original context (that is, the context freshly conjured from the void by Icshi's arcane arts): Richard's Home Page, circa 1997.

[ Thursday, December 15, 2005 11:54: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #10
Hmm... E-mail me at: whiterm@es.co.nz... But what brave soul would dare disturb the mighty White through such primitive means? Sadly, it may be our only hope if he will not answer our supplications.

And he even replies to every e-mail he recieves! Hot diggitey! That just sweetens the deal! Some easily influenced dupe... Ahem, I mean some fearless alpha male should take charge and establish themselves as a leader by e-mailing him.

Maybe this is it! The big one! Actual contact with him! Well, actual contact without implants...

[ Monday, December 12, 2005 18:48: Message edited by: Notye but Neyse ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #11
Many attempts have been made to contact Richard White through the various email addresses which have cluttered his person throughout the years. None came back alive.

If [b]Jeff[/b] — the man whose website is the sole means of income for these games — can't contact him, well… Need I say more?

He has truly and verily ascended, and is now happily frolicking in a realm where no dubious email can touch him.

[ Monday, December 12, 2005 20:39: Message edited by: IRA Witch Herd ]
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by IRA Witch Herd:

Many attempts have been made to contact Richard White through the various email addresses which have cluttered his person throughout the years. None came back alive.

If [b]Jeff
— the man whose website is the sole means of income for these games — can't contact him, well… Need I say more?

He has truly and verily ascended, and is now happily frolicking in a realm where no dubious email can touch him.[/b]
Jeff is but a mere underling. But Lord White possibly might listen to someone much more powerful... Perhaps yourself? Yes, it only makes sense, nay, it is your duty to invoke the Lord. Fo' reals.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #13
:rolleyes:
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #14
Can't we get Richards 'Who am I?' logo, linked to above, to replace the 'Chromite Software' logo at the top of the forum? Or at least join it (preferably below rather than beside)?

And can we renew our push to have RWG moved to the bottom of the forum list? We deserve it more than SubTerra.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Done and done.

—Alorael, who will have been Ricardo Blanco yesterday tomorrow.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #16
Huzzah! The explanatory motto is a nice touch.

Maybe we should make the logo bigger. You can blow things up and then refiddle the resolution with Gimp, by interpolating pixels; it would probably work. I'll give it a try at some point. Surely such trivial enlargement will not impair the authenticity of the icon? I hope?

We're still not at the bottom of the heap. I take it that it is just the renewing of the push that is 'and done'? Even so, it is appreciated. We shall sink triumphant in the end!

--------------------
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by IRA Witch Herd:

Level 8 was pretty fun. I've had trouble with 2-7, and, quite frankly, couldn't finish them.
Once I learned that you're supposed to work with gravity rather than against it, levels 2-6 were a snap. (Okay, so I'm an idiot.) I have yet to tackle level 7 — took a break to write this.

And if anyone's wondering why I'm playing Rock Solid instead of Avernum 4 — well, for various reasons I can't register A4 until I get back from a two-week trip (starting next Tuesday), and am already near the end of the demo, so…

Besides, now that I know how to play Rock Solid properly, it's much more enjoyable. Quite a good game, really.

PS — I love the new banner on the forum mainpage, by the way! IMAGE(http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/icons/icon14.gif)
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #18
I never saw the logo and the question below before, but I think the are perfect for this forum. :eek: :eek: :eek:

[ Friday, December 16, 2005 05:40: Message edited by: Slith Lord ]

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #19
The download no longer works. Does anyone still have a copy of the demo? If so, can you please send it to tyranicus(at)shadowvale.net? Thank you.

[ Friday, June 30, 2006 17:51: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
How about here?

—Alorael, who thinks that's the latest version. It's on Radiant's site, but Radiant has a number of sites so it's a little hard to tell.

[ Friday, June 30, 2006 17:57: Message edited by: Euphoriasis ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
I think he was talking about the demo of Rock Solid. Which I do indeed have, and I've sent it.

[ Friday, June 30, 2006 18:02: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #22
I was indeed speaking about Rock Solid. If I meant SubTerra, I would have posted in the SubTerra forum. :P

Thank you very much, Kel. It works just great.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
I am impressed by my own failure to function in sync with the rest of this thread.

—Alorael, who has found Rock Solid, too. Good old HOTU.