Soilders? Archers? Knights? and what's your opinion on roads?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Soilders? Archers? Knights? and what's your opinion on roads?
Warrior
Member # 6485
Profile #0
Note: this is on Lost souls!!
:cool:

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 9 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=nMEDyKHpOHMC"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=nMEDyKHpOHMC"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
I love Spiderweb Software!!
Who doesn't?
My hints on making a new party.
USE CHARECTER EDITER!!
----------------------------------
10 million Cave giant chiefs +
1 million drake lords ageinst me =

easy
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
There's nothing a soldier can do that a knight can't do better, and I've usually found one knight more useful than two soldiers. There are occasional exceptions, like in cases of extreme cannon fodder, but generally I make knights, not soldiers.

Archers are less useful than knights most of the time, and they're fairly worthless for taking and holding territory, but a few archers at the end of a bridge with a few knights or soldiers can hold off an army. That's the purpose of the unit, and it works nicely.

—Alorael, who likes roads strategically. They make defending and attacking ever so slightly complicated.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #2
Reading this topic made me realize that I've never actually played Lost Souls. Sure, I'd downloaded the demo and poked around a bit, but I never actually committed to finishing a game before. So I dug out the demo again…

And I discovered it's a great game! Lots of interesting aspects to it. I beat the first three levels — had lots of fun with the third especially, with those four guard towers in the middle. Couldn't have won that one without archers.

But I still like knights best. They're just about the only way to take out the archers! :D

I don't care much for the roads, though — I have trouble enough as it is counting how far the enemy pieces can move. Maybe with practice, I won't mind them so much and may grow to like them.

Still, at the moment, it looks like I may register the game some time in the next few weeks.

So, a hefty thank you to IT 000 for bringing up Lost Souls. I probably would have never played it again otherwise.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I use each of the three units for different purposes. Soldiers are good for standing in the way, and archers sometimes need backup for defense. Knights are the only good offense, though.

And roads can be pretty useful on rare occasions but most of the time are not needed.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #4
I have downloaded and played the Lost Souls demo a couple of times. Last time, though, it crashed a lot running in Classic in OS 10.4. I have an old OS 9 laptop on which it would probably work fine, though, so maybe I'll install it there. I liked it, too. Just never quite enough to register it. The demo levels were varied, but didn't quite succeed in giving me the impression that huge amounts of further variety would await in the later levels. Evidently there's an art to constructing shareware demos. You need to make the last demo level the second-best level in the whole game. (If you make it the best, people will register the game but then be so let down they'll never look at you again, or pass the word on to their friends that they need to register too.)

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00