Question on Geneforge Creatures

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Question on Geneforge Creatures
Apprentice
Member # 5241
Profile #0
If someone could answer this with a minimum of spoilers, I would appreciate it. I am working on the demo version of Geneforge and will likely order the full version shortly. I don't get how creature leveling works. I have two fyora who were level 8 and became level 9. However, their str, dex, etc. stayed at 8 instead of going up to 9 after level up (unless I spend essence to artificially increase). If I up my fire shaping by 1 and summon a new fyora, he is more powerful than the ones that leveled up "naturally." The manual says that when a creature levels up, its "health, spell energy and basic statistics improve." This doesn't appear to be the case. Please explain. Thanks for the help.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #1
Well, that's because when you made your original fyoras, they weren't made with the improved fire shaping. Sadly enough, when you increase your traits, it doesn't increase the traits of your creations. Bummer, isn't it. :( I kind of forgot how the game works since I haven't played it in awhile, but each creation has skill points to spend when leveling up, and they gain health and sp. However, if you create a new creature, it doesn't gain previously gained exp in the game. Hope that helps. :)

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Apprentice
Member # 5241
Profile #2
I follow what you mean, i.e., I understand that my old creatures won't take account of my higher level in fire shaping. Still, when they themselves gain levels due to experience point gain, I thought their stats would all go up by one. That is what the manual suggests. That does not appear be what is happening, though. Only their health and spell energy increase; their other stats don't increase. Thanks.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #3
Sorry if I'm wrong, since I dont currently have Geneforge on this computer and haven't played it in awhile, as i mentioned before, but I believe their stats all go up by one because of the skill points they gain. Hope that helps. :)

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Basically, it's usually better to absorb and recreate all your creations every time your level or shaping skill increases, at least in Geneforge 1. Geneforge 2 rebalances the creation level-building system a little.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #5
*sweeps this off to Geneforge*
Apprentice
Member # 5203
Profile Homepage #6
all their stats do go up, but not in that 'evolve creation' screen. you have to think of the points in theat screen as kind of like extras (and as you level you will earn more points to buy skills in that screen), to make your creature stronger in a particular area if needed. but if you look in the small screen, not where you can edit their statistics, just the character portraits to the side of the main screen, the stats DO go up. this isn't readily apparent or terribly useful as far as strengh goes, (though it does help some) that's what the allocation points are for. where this is most helpful is giving your creature HP and energy. they'll be harder to hurt, and the more energy they have to waste while fighting the higher level they are.

I kept a Fyora around from the beginning of the game to see what would happen, how kick ass i could make the most basic creature, and the little guy could go toe to toe with some of my later high level creations like Drayk's or Drakons. so leveling isn't a waste. but you should try to get your shaper's skills up a bit as soon as posible before you start keeping them around, to avoid the problem you described where the creations you made later were more powerful than the ones who had been leveling a bit. focus on your shaping skills early on, so you can focus on other areas while your creations are leveling.

[ Sunday, November 28, 2004 22:02: Message edited by: Jill ]

--------------------
Homepage | Heathen Sent | Nightscrawlers
Apprentice
Member # 5241
Profile #7
On the little screen where you see your creature's overall stats, whether paid for on the skill points level up screen or gained when you created the creature, those stats (except for health and energy) do not increase as your creatures gain levels. I guess I just see that as different from the manual passage I quoted as well as different from what I would expect (i.e., why would a fyora you create with a higher level shaping skill be different from one who gained that level naturally). Maybe some balancing reason. In any event, I am enjoying the game. Thanks to all who responded.
Apprentice
Member # 5203
Profile Homepage #8
that's exactly what i am saying. but don't underestemate the value of more energy and HP. it can be a HUGE boon. you just have to try and see if a new creation will be more powerful or less powerful than one you've kept around for a while. if you have a little army of creatures, EXP will be divided among all of them (including you) so everyone in your party will gain levels more slowly. so there are disadvantages as well as advantages to keeping a creation around for a long time. you just ahve to decide which it is in your case. in my opinion, keeping one or two around from the beginning at least until you can create Drayks is very helpful. just not too many of them.

when you level, you are given points which you ca use in the Evolve creation screen. you can't get those points unless they evolve, but if you are creating a new creature, and ahve a whole lot of essence, you can give it to them all at once.

[ Tuesday, November 30, 2004 14:31: Message edited by: Jill ]

--------------------
Homepage | Heathen Sent | Nightscrawlers
Apprentice
Member # 5236
Profile #9
I remember at least in Geneforge 2 the creations you didn't create get all their stats +1 every 2 levels they gain.....

--------------------
Is there any legal way of getting spiderweb software games if you don't have $20?
Apprentice
Member # 6433
Profile #10
i say sack the manual and go through the game by trial and error thats what i did and finished all 3 geneforge games in a total of 3 days :) my manuals are sitting somewere in the local rubbish tip going moldy and dissintergrating. (not meaning any disrespect to spiderweb softwere because without them gemes i wouldent have servived a boring 3 days of half term)

[ Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:56: Message edited by: canisters, need canisters ]

--------------------
were are these canisters?
i realy wish they were in real life?
why dont people try to make a geneforge in real life?
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by canisters, need canisters:

i say sack the manual and go through the game by trial and error thats what i did and finished all 3 geneforge games in a total of 3 days :) my manuals are sitting somewere in the local rubbish tip going moldy and dissintergrating. (not meaning any disrespect to spiderweb softwere because without them gemes i wouldent have servived a boring 3 days of half term)
Your parents failed to do the right thing for you when you were a child.