The Age of Consent

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The Age of Consent
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #0
Possibly out now, by George Monbiot. Summarised here and here.
Discuss.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #1
I know George Monbiot, a very reluctant radical reverting to his upper class twit routes alongside the rather more influential Zac Goldsmith (The Ecologist).

I remember chasing the spazzy then-Home Secretary Jack 'Boot' Straw down Brighton sea front some years ago too, forcing him to hide in a hotel. That's the sot of pressure they understand, not Georgey-boy crawling back up his own Oxbridge fundament.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #2
What have his roots got to do with his beliefs and opinions, and how valid they are?
And I fail to see how Straw has 'understood' your 'chasing' him down the Brighton sea front - it hasn't changed his policies or views one bit - if anything he's now more of a right wing idiot than before.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #3
I wouldn't mind the term "right-wing idiot" so much if it weren't used so often here, and if it weren't considered redundant on Spiderweb...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #4
People's backgrounds are very formative - what is unthinkable from one is not from another. It's understandable, therefore, that George is alienated from the anti-globalisation miliants he uses for book promotions, etc, as he sees the globalisers as 'people we can do business with' in a typical posh clubby way. They probably all went to the same school.

As to 'influencing decision-makers', if they are not taught that their policies have (personal) consequences, they are likely to continue doing what they like and trusting to spin doctors to 'sell policy' thereafter (Blair syndrome). Most people with that sort of mentality could do with boot-delivered reminders of the nature of reality generally and their own physicality particularly on occassion.