ReiserFS in Windows?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: ReiserFS in Windows?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
First, a little story.

So a few days ago, my laptop's hard drive failed. Fortunately, there were only a few bad sectors, and none of them destroyed my files (which *cough* hadn't been backed up for about a year). Unfortunately, they ate enough of Windows to make it unable to boot.

It turns out that the "system recovery" disk that came with the laptop cannot repair an existing installation, but has to either format or at least wipe all my user files (the stuff under Documents & Settings, which was mostly my email and application data).

But there's a silver lining to everything: As I may have mentioned around christmas, I have a new hard drive that I wanted to switch to for ages.

So I partitioned it into four portions (3 system partitions and one large data partition) reinstalled Windows on one of the system partitions and copied my user files over from the old drive.

However, the fourth partition is still unformatted. I played with the thought to use ReiserFS for this one, since I'll be dual-booting Linux eventually.

However, it's not much of a shared data partition if Windows can't use it.

So I'm going to put a question to the savvy here: Is there any driver that allows Windows to read and write to a Reiser partition? I've given up of finding a free one and would probably spend up to $50. But so far, all I've seen were either in development or read-only or both. :(

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #1
You could try google.
And I can't belive that a topic had no replies for that long.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #2
Lucky for us that you quickly rectified that problem with the quality response that he was waiting for.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
Unlike some people, I try Google before posting on forums. :P

In any case, I'm kind of giving up. ext2 isn't Reiser, but it's still better than FAT32. At least I can get large file (>4GB) support, and Ext2 IFS will make it work in Windows.

[ Saturday, April 28, 2007 23:19: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #4
For what it's worth, ext3 is backwards-compatible with ext2. That is, you can use it like an ext2 partition (no journaling) or like an ext3 partition (journaling). I'd advise doing that so you at least get journaling in Linux.

--------------------
Pygmalion | Desperance | Djur
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
Yeah, that's what I did now - formatted it in ext3 in Linux, then mounted it as ext2 in Windows. It's not perfect, but it seems to be the next best thing that works.

--------------------