What's in the hintbooks?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What's in the hintbooks?
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #0
I'm playing through Geneforge 3 right now and having a blast. However I am very anal-retentive when it comes to my gaming and have to explore every nook and cranny. Regrettably the GameFaqs FAQ is a bit on the short side and since GF3 is an older game the GF Forums offer absolutey ZERO help as far as searching goes.

Therefore I am thinking of getting the GF3 Hintbook. I was wondering if anyone else here has ordered one (for Geneforge or another game) and what the format of the book is like (actual bound book, crappy Kinkos job or a PDF) and what's in the book (just lame "hints" or a full competent walkthrough)?

Thanks in advance!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
All the hintbooks are paper versions with a decent cover. They cover all the information that you need to finish the game. Best of all they have maps of the general world and key individual areas.

The older hintbooks didn't cover everything. They would leave out a few nooks and crannies. However they do have most of what you need. Combine it with the game walkthroughs and you will almost everything. They do leave out easter eggs.

The newer ones have the cheat codes for those that really need them.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #2
Ok, that's cool.

Do the hintbooks (admittedly I'm talking about Geneforge 3 Hintbook but any experience folks have is appreciated) have all the artifact recepies? List of quests along with quest rewards? Area descriptions and general item/stat list for the game? Skill progression lists? Suggestions on character builds (especially the recommended Mechanical/Leadership skill level needed for certain parts of the game)?

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
Most of them have quests and quest solutions, but not their rewards. All artifact recipes and in Exile there were descriptions of major items and their powers.

Jeff has a totally different perspective on building characters so you are better off with the game walkthroughs. The walkthroughs give specific advice on what levels you need in mechanics and leadership while the hintbooks tend to give general levels like low, medium, and high leadership.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #4
The G3 Gamefaqs FAQ was compiled by Schrodinger, with input from the whole 'first generation' of players on these boards. It may be short, but I think it's actually pretty thorough.

It isn't absolutely complete. For instance it lists only one location for a couple of artifact components that I'm sure appear in two places. And it won't generally tell you exactly where some object is on a given map, unless it's in some particularly tricky place.

But if you're like me, you don't want to play the game with one finger following along in the cookbook; you just want to be sure you don't miss anything interesting. And I think the Schrodinger FAQ is good for this.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00