Hypothetical Greek Weapons of Mass Destruction Suck

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hypothetical Greek Weapons of Mass Destruction Suck
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #50
By Binarism
quote:

Then Excalibur explained that he meant nuclear weapons, but then reiterated that the USA is the only country to have killed with WMDs. That's still false.
The chemical weapons Hussein used on the Kurds is considered an WMD right?
Is there some other use of WMDs in history that I don't recall or don't know of. Like Randomizer said, most of us are under 20, and I'm 14.

--------------------
WWJD?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #51
Chemical weapons go back to World War I when mustard gas was used to kill soldiers in trench warfare. This led to the first treaties to outlaw chemical weapons.

Iraq is probably one of the few countries to use chemical weapons in defiance of the bans. The threat of using them has always been there as the US and Soviet Union both created stockpiles during the Cold War.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #52
Marcelo: we're still talking about the Pinochet who overthrew a democratic government with an armed coup, ruled as a dictator for almost two decades, and extralegally jailed and killed vocal members of the opposition, right? Even if he did the kind of good you claim (which I dispute, but...) it'd be kind of difficult to defend the legacy of someone who, well, did that. :P

re. Argentina et al: I see I've hit something of a nerve with the Argentina comparison (I'm not given to understand that most South Americans outside of Argentina think much of it), and I apologize for that, but I'm just saying that countries in similar circumstances do similar things. There've been a lot of people who do what I described Pinochet doing throughout history, and when they have ready access to weapons they tend to strengthen their foreign and domestic power with foreign military adventures.

I'm still uncertain as to how credibly one ought to view the claim that the people Pinochet went after were terrorists. There are family of the disappeared in Chile too, and Sept. 11 lives in infamy with at least a number of your countrymen I've spoken to. Allende is remembered fondly only by the Chilean left, having been a member of a specific political party with a specific political agenda and all, but he's still generally regarded a lot better than Pinochet, and what Pinochet did remembered as entirely uncalled-for.

I don't have anywhere near the expertise to debate Chilean history with a Chilean, but I'm still not inclined to like Pinochet at all. You just don't oust the opposition by force and have thousands of them killed. It isn't done. :P
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

Marcelo: we're still talking about the Pinochet who overthrew a democratic government with an armed coup, ruled as a dictator for almost two decades, and extralegally jailed and killed vocal members of the opposition, right? Even if he did the kind of good you claim (which I dispute, but...) it'd be kind of difficult to defend the legacy of someone who, well, did that. :P

I can understand where you're coming from and I have no intention to change your mind. Don't ignore however the terrorist groups that the government of Pinochet had to deal with (FPMR), don't just get the vision of those who didn't like Pinochet, do a more objective research, read about the thousands of killings of military men and families, bomb attacks, people and politicians abducted and murdered. Yes, the methods of some of the agents of the government might not have been politically correct but remember they were Army men, they were not policians. Circumstances from 1970 to 1973 led to the Military assuming responsible control of the country and they did it their way. Sometimes you hear people here in Chile say "the only mistake Pinochet made was leaving so many terrorists alive". Members of the FPMR continued killing former members of Pinochet's government, like Senator Jaime Guzman in 1991.
Again, not everyone here sees Pinochet as a dictator, some would prefer calling him a saviour from the chaos Allende brought.

I'm still uncertain as to how credibly one ought to view the claim that the people Pinochet went after were terrorists.
I insist, read more, find out about FPMR, I don't think you'll find a lot of information in English as it is available in Spanish. Wikipedia has a short description though, and it's especially interesting to mention that in 1986, Chilean security forces caught the FPMR smuggling an 80-ton shipment of weapons, including T-4 plastic explosives, RPG-7 and M72 LAW rocket launchers as well as more than three thousand M-16 rifles --but for some reason, those against Pinochet don't like this to be remembered...

I don't have anywhere near the expertise to debate Chilean history with a Chilean, but I'm still not inclined to like Pinochet at all. You just don't oust the opposition by force and have thousands of them killed. It isn't done. :P
-Unless of course, that opposition declares war on the system by kidnapping people, attacking politians, killing people, setting bombs and smuggling weapons to the country. You should agree with me in this point at least, after all there is a country in the middle east that is being occupied and many innocents killed everyday in the name of democracy (?), executed if they want to put bombs to expell the invaders, bombed from the air in their houses just because they do not support the occupying forces, and a long etc etc.

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.

Pages