Avernum 4 - 7.63 (10.0/1.0)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4 - 7.63 (10.0/1.0)
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:

Hey, wait. If this is a CSR-like rating topic, you have to give it a 1.0.

...Though it will be up to BainIhrno to decide whether 0.0 is a valid rating.

I'm keeping it like CSR, so 0 is not a valid rating.

Also, I've downloaded it recently, and it will probably be a long time before I can rate it, but I'm having fun with it so far.

But at last! We finally have something where the highest rating is 10 and the lowest rating is 1! Today will go down in history! :P

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 04:07: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #26
I honestly don't understand how veterans can rate Avernum 4 above a '1/10'. Aren't you sick of the same old thing? Are you really fooled into thinking that merely because the engine has been updated, you're getting something 'sassy'?

Jeff is beginning to remind me of Brian Jacques, who wrote the Redwall Series. Every book in the series has the same contrived plot, with similiar stereotypical characters (at least five books centre around an attack on Salamandastron). If you've read one, then you might as well not bother reading the rest of the series, as it's the same old trash. That's how I feel about Avernum 4.

By the way, I was fuming over Avernum 4 the other day, and reminscing on how much better the Ultima series was in general. I then noticed the similiarity between the three 'evil' shades in Avernum 4, and the Shadowlords from Ultima 5 "Warriors of Destiny". I wonder if that is just a coincidence.

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 14:22: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #27
I haven't played Avernum 4, but I know the "Go here, here, here, and here, then kill everything in sight" plot is very common among RPGs. Does that sound like what's going on with the Shades?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #28
The mechanics of gameplay was better than previous versions but it somehow seemed stale and lifeless, a little bland. Could have used some salt and pepper while on the stove.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Calphrexo:

I haven't played Avernum 4, but I know the "Go here, here, here, and here, then kill everything in sight" plot is very common among RPGs. Does that sound like what's going on with the Shades?
The majority of A4 is killing everything in sight, but the shades add a little bit of variety to this concept. You know they're there pretty early in the game, but if you even approach them before being fully prepared, you are struck down almost immediately.

In concept, they are cool. In execution, they are pretty good. But the first time you're smote by one... ouch.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.

Pages