Web hosting suggestions?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Web hosting suggestions?
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #0
Since several people here have paid hosting services, I am wondering if you can recommend something for my cousin for his pictures. He uses only basic HTML and needs about 200-500MB storage with 2-10GB monthly transfer limit. The only premium feature he needs is domain hosting. Here is his current page, if anybody is curious: http://designart.cc/

So can anybody recommend a cheap service that would meet these requirements?

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
I'd recommend Dreamhost (for which I have absolutely no ulterior motive, not even that I get a referral bonus :P ), but for these requirements it would be overkill.

I'm not sure there even is still a premium host that offers non-PHP plans...

In any case, with no other special requirements, the deciding factor will probably the price... what is he currently paying or planning to pay?

Edit: Wait, there's one thing. If the only premium feature he needs is domain hosting - does he have a third-party registrar already, or is the host the registrar?

Full hosting plans are far bigger than this, but there are resellers who offer smaller plans. They usually don't offer domain registration, but if the domain is already registered somewhere else, just hosting it would probably be no trouble.

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 17:46: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #2
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to say that he is currently paying 15$/month for an EarthLink account with >100MB of storage. So even the super-overkill DreamHost plans you are suggesting would be cheaper than what he currently pays.

So let me rephrase the question: Does anybody know of a reliable host that allows domain names and charges no more than 10$/month? (How do separate domain registrars work?) The main factors here are reliability and price.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
Yes - I am currently allowed to upload 200 GB and transfer 2 TB each month, for about 4$ (normally 8$; it's a promotional discount).

They put in a free year of domain registration, and after that it will be 15$ a year. That's pretty much the normal price for having a name registered, it can get cheaper in bulk though.

---

Also, third-party registrars:

A DNS lookup is made up of two parts: First, the name is searched in the central registry, which then returns the IP address of a name server. When this name server is queried, it returns the IP of the webserver the request should go to.

The separate registrar doesn't actually "host" anything for you. They simply take care of dealing with the official registrars to make sure your domain is listed with the name server IP you specify. This name server is owned by your host, who takes it from there.

---

The advantage is flexibility. If your host does both the hosting and registering, they have a monopolistic interest in keeping you "hostage" by refusing to let you use your registered domain name with another host, or point a domain name registered elsewhere at their servers.

This is pretty common, too - ask Tyranicus; it's why Shadow Vale is not at shadowvale.net anymore.

If each is provided separately, each can be changed with less hassle, since they don't keep you shackled.

---

However, it's not strictly necessary - these days, most hosts act as registrars to provide a "one-stop shop", and do it fairly well.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #4
Apparently, WizWebPost is desperate for clients. For more information, see the soon-to-be-locked topic currently near the top of the forum titled "An Excellent Webhosting Services! ". In case the obvious shift from singular to plural in the title didn't give it a way... we have another bot.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
I want a moat. Too many bots swarming the place even if they are providing helpful information.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by The Sorcerer:

This is pretty common, too - ask Tyranicus; it's why Shadow Vale is not at shadowvale.net anymore.
Sadly, this is true. shadowvale.net will continue to redirect to tyranicus.dreamhosters.com until the end of the month, and after that I'm hoping to reclaim my domain when it expires. *crosses fingers* If I am unable to do this, I will most likely register shadowvale.org.

As to recommendations, I agree with Aran. I love DreamHost. Also, if your cousin decides to go with DreamHost, have him contact Aran or me. (preferably me, since Aran is already reaping the benefits of referring me. :P ) because we can get him a discount. :)

[ Tuesday, February 06, 2007 22:19: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #7
Thanks for the information.
quote:
Originally written by The Sorcerer:

Yes - I am currently allowed to upload 200 GB and transfer 2 TB each month, for about 4$ (normally 8$; it's a promotional discount).

Could you e-mail me details that are needed for the signup/referal/discount.

Tyran, I am taking Aran's referral, because he replied first and gave more detailed information, but thanks for the offer.

[ Wednesday, February 07, 2007 17:19: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------