Programming (Mac OS X)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Programming (Mac OS X)
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #0
Does anyone here in General know much about programming for Mac OS X?I have already emailed several members about this, and have recieved a few suggestions. Unfortunately, since I have not yet gotten a part-time job or any major source of income, I cannot afford some of these programs. I also know nothing about Mac programming, but would like to start.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
What do you want to know about Mac programming? If you need a compiler, Xcode comes with OS X and works with a number of languages.

—Alorael, who is not exacly an ideal source of information, given that he is more of a mucker of code than a programmer.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #2
Programming in Mac OS X doesn't require any expensive software at all! Apple's Developer Tools are awesome and free. You can get the newest available version here , though you'll want an older version if you are using 10.3 or earlier. You can get earlier versions and other useful stuff by signing up for a free Apple Developer Connection account.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #3
I would like to start my programming education by doing simple applications. Perhaps later I'll move it up a notch to simple games. And I do have XCode-I just have no idea what I'm looking at.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #4
Take a look here . In particular you'll want to give the tutorial application a try. You can also view these page in XCode by open Help>Documentation, clicking Cocoa in the list on the left, and clicking on "Getting Started" CocoaDev Central is also a good website for learning basics.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #5
You've never done programming before?

Don't start in OS X. Start in a platform-independent language like Java and just write text-based code. GUI design, while it has gotten easier over the years, still takes a lot of mucking around even with a good automater, and it doesn't teach any programming skills anyway.
EDIT: Actually, simple C++ code and such is also platform-independent at the coding level. But I'd use Java because the syntax is slightly simpler. OS X also includes a compiler for this and a brief time Googling should find you plenty of help in doing so from the command line (get comfortable working in the command line).

[ Thursday, January 11, 2007 15:29: Message edited by: SNM ]

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.