The Worm Ouroboros

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The Worm Ouroboros
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
The Worm Ouroboros seems to be available online in its entirety. I guess its copyright expired, or something. So everyone should go and read it.

It dates from 1922 and has many flaws. One should ignore the initial frame narrative about an Earthman dreaming of the planet Mercury, since this concept is quickly forgotten and never mentioned again. It is also a bit disorienting that the nations of this fantasy world are labelled Demons and Witches and Goblins and so forth, when in fact, apart from small horns on the Demons' foreheads, everyone is human.

It comfortably transcends all its flaws.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
For some reason, I thought you were going to talk about Jeff's Ouroboros reference in A3.

Anyway, I'd ask for more context to this thread, but then this is general and also I like reading. I have nothing to do this evening, so I'll probably read this. :)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #2
I, uh, forgot to mention that some of the language, and especially the dialogue, is somewhat archaic English. If Shakespeare gives you trouble, this may be tough going. On the other hand, if a lot of the text sounds odd to you, don't worry -- that's how it's supposed to sound.

E.R. Eddison is good general fantasy background, since he has to be considered one of the founders of the genre.

[ Thursday, March 09, 2006 13:23: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
Who else would you consider the genre's founders, OOC?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
I read it about 20 very odd years ago when they reprinted it and the other three books in paperback. While it is good the reviews for the others that were part of the series were not favorable. You should be able to find them used. If you are lazy there are online book search companies like ABEbooks that can give you independent bookstores that have them.

If you want something similar, almost anything by Lord Dunsany will do and he is being reprinted now. He is considered the best for using language.

Or try your library for James Branch Cabell since he is definitely out of print. His The Charwoman's Shadow is considered his best.

Lin Carter edited two antholgies in the mid 70's giving short stories and excerpts from the best and sometimes most obscure fantasy authors.

[ Friday, March 10, 2006 05:47: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

I, uh, forgot to mention that some of the language, and especially the dialogue, is somewhat archaic English. If Shakespeare gives you trouble, this may be tough going.
Are you kidding me? That kind of English is my favorite!

Now I have to read it. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #6
what is the worm oroboros!?

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
It is very obviously a book.

—Alorael, who recommends Wikipedia for short informational questions.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #8
I hope that The Charwoman's Shadow isn't really Cabell's best book, because although it's very good, it's by Dunsany. I gather from Wikipedia that Jurgen: a Comedy of Justice is probably Cabell's best. It is also available online.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
Sorry, it's been 20 years and I got them mixed up. I read them both. Jurgen is the one I was thinking of because of the trial Cabell went through over the content. The phrase "staff of life" had a meaning that was decided by the court as not objectionable because most readers didn't know what Cabell meant.

The only other book I remember was Figures of Earth which was part of a series and not as well written.

[ Friday, March 10, 2006 21:13: Message edited by: Randomizer ]