Magnitude 7.5

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Magnitude 7.5
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #0
[Happened 28 minutes ago]

MAPUTO, Mozambique - A powerful earthquake struck Mozambique early Thursday morning, shaking buildings and forcing people from hundreds of miles around to dash into the streets for safety. There were no immediate reports of injuries.

The magnitude-7.5 quake struck at 12:19 a.m. in southern Mozambique, 140 miles southwest of the coastal city of Beira, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The temblor was felt in neighboring Zimbawe and as far south as Durban, South Africa, 800 miles away.

Elias Daudi, Mozambique's national director of energy, said on state radio that authorities still do not have any information on casualties or the extent of the damage. He also urged people not to return to their buildings because of possible aftershocks.

In Berira, Tivoli Hotel manager Johana Neves said none of her guests was hurt but many tourists awoke and ran terrified from the building.

"It felt like the building was going to fall down and it went on for a long time, the trembling," she said by telephone. "It felt like you were in a boat, it was shaking everything yet, it's strange, nothing is broken, even the windows."

Hotel guest Antonio Dinis said the streets were full of people afraid to go back home.

State radio said there was an unconfirmed report of a collapsed building in Beira.

Buildings swayed in Maputo, the capital of the this Indian Ocean nation, 400 miles south of Beira. Radio reports said hundreds of people fled their homes for the street, as they did in Chimoyo, some 300 miles west of Beira near the border with Zimbabwe.

A newspaper editor in Maputo said he was in the 11th floor of an apartment building that was rocked by the quake.

"It shook a lot. We could feel it very strongly," Fernando Velosa, editor of Jornal de Mocambique, told Lisbon radio station TSF. Portugal is the former colonial ruler of the African nation.

The quake was shallow, which increases the potential for damage, said Dale Grant, a scientist with the USGS in Golden, Colo., which is a clearinghouse for temblors worldwide. A quake nearing magnitude 8 is capable of causing tremendous damage.

At least five aftershocks were immediately recorded and more were expected in the coming days because of the quake's size, USGS said.

The temblor occurred near the southern end of the East African rift system, a seismically active zone. Since 1900, the largest quake measured on the rift system had a magnitude-7.6, according to the USGS.

[ Wednesday, February 22, 2006 18:43: Message edited by: The Kraken ]

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
Hmmm. I seem to have not felt it.

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
If you could feel an earthquake that occurred in Mozambique, chances would be that the world just broke apart over there. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
To have this news appear so quickly here must mean it is not as earthshaking an event as "Hanged."

I offer no apologies.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #4
Funny how a 7.5 magnitude earthquake can cause no injuries - the death toll should have been thousands.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
It really depends on the geology of the area. Certain types of rock structure make good shock absorbers for earthquakes. Also, the types of buildings found in that area may be less damaging to humans, and it sounds like they all knew how to react to the danger. Not like in the US of A where they have told us for years to brace ourselves in a doorway. It turns out that was the wrong answer.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
Well, they also tell you to use duct tape in the case of terrorist attacks. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #7
quote:
Well, they also tell you to use duct tape in the case of terrorist attacks.

how so?

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Because duct tape can fix anything!

Dikiyoba hasn't seen much proof duct tape helping against terrorism, though.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:

quote:
Well, they also tell you to use duct tape in the case of terrorist attacks.

how so?

In the words of Lewis Black:

"The only way duct tape helps in terms of a chemical attack, is if you can get enough that you can wrap it around yourself and die before the chemicals kill you."

And yet, the Department of Homeland Security apparently thought that it was a viable idea to use duct tape to seal up your house to keep you safe from a chemical attack. Until you run out of air, anyway...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.