Level Caps...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Level Caps...
Apprentice
Member # 2829
Profile #0
Now I can understand that the total number of encounters and quests can effectively limit the ammount of XP a party can gain and thus limit their ability to level later on. What I was wondering was the highest level that is possible for a standard party in both Exile and Avernum, as it will be a deciding factor in which trilogy I purchase.

I have played the demos and own Av2, so I have a pretty good idea about the other differences. Just not this nitty-gritty detail. I personally detest level caps, as I extract joy from becoming ridiculously powerful.

I also know that they nerfed a lot of spells from the Exile series, but what about items in Avernum? Are there more or fewer? As for quests, again, more in Avernum, or less?

Thanks to all who reply, please be kind to those who are inclined to mock me and my relative ignorance despite my countless hours of playing time. :)
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #1
I know in Exile 2, without cheating, I've made it to level 50. I have no idea if you can go beyond that.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
I'm pretty sure the level cap in A1 and A2 was 50. I don't think I hit it except with my duos, though; a 4-person party won't quite get there without disadvantages. A3 didn't seem to have a level cap that I found. My 4-person party did every quest in the game and ended up somewhere in the mid-50's in levels. BoA doesn't have a level cap for PCs, whereas BoE's is 50, I believe.

There are a couple more quests and encounters in Avernum (although not many). I have no idea about the items, though.

And if you find yourself liking Exile, you can buy Blades of Exile (which has dozens of quality scenarios and hundreds of other scenarios), or if you like Avernum, you can buy Blades of Avernum (which has a handful of quality scenarios but offers a potentially more diverse playing experience).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
The Exile series indeed has a level cap of 50. However, since the most important thing level does is give you skill points to work with, the power cap is actually much higher in Exile than in Avernum, due to the (relative!) accessibility and economy of Knowledge Brew.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #4
Don't forget Skill Potions. I find them all the time, and you can usually get them from Waldby's Bazaar relatively easily.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Apprentice
Member # 2829
Profile #5
Well, I have to go with Exile. Though the interface might seem a little dated, the graphics and play are still great. With the above in mind and the fact that they are not mutually exclusive (Avernum and Exile), I will fill out my collection later. Thanks again to all who replied!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
All Exile games have a level cap at 50. I've never gotten there except in BoE.

A1 is capped at 40, A2 at 50, and A3 and BoA have no cap. I hit the A1 level cap once while playing by trying to hit the level cap. My two times playing through to just do the quests and win I ended without reaching level 40. I never hit level 50 at all in A2.

Geneforges and A4 have no specific caps, but at a certain level there are no longer any monsters that give you any experience. I don't know what level that is for any of the games.

—Alorael, who isn't quite sure how spells were nerfed in Exile. Avernum has a significantly different set of spells, though, and it's smaller. Most claim that it's less fun, and you'll get no arguments here. Another arrow spell does not make up for the absence of wall spells, area of effect spells, and the worthless Symbiosis.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #7
I just loaded my Exile 2 save game to find that all of my characters are over level 50, one even in the 70-79 range. Apparently, levels aren't capped at 50.

I'll host the savegame and a screenshot momentarily, for proof.

Note that none of the nefariousness committed upon the savegame had to do with character stats.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
Actually, Geneforge 1 has a level cap at 30. But you can only get past the mid-20s by repeatedly creating and killing your own creations, since nothing else will give you XP.

Avernum 4 supposedly has a level cap at 60, although this can only be reached by massive cheating -- you're likely to end no higher than the mid-30s for a normal party, or the mid-40s for a singleton.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #9
I still have no clue what the level cap is for the Exile series.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
If your fighter was called John Doe, was your mage called John Dee? :P

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #11
No, they are all called John Doe. I figured it would be better to not have my friends names floating around the 'net, so I changed the names to John Doe. Also, that's not my fighter, that's my archer.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
One of the weird things about the level caps is that they aren't always pure caps on what level your characters can achieve. I'm pretty sure that I hit a level cap in A1 or A2 by having my party's average level hit the level cap.

This can be misleading when you're trying to figure out what the level cap actually is.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Why can't Jeff program anything in a way that makes sense?

—Alorael, who would not be terribly surprised to discover that all input received by Spiderweb games is processed by a Rube Goldberg algorithm that eventually spits back out exactly what was entered, two cherries, and many wasted CPU cycles.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
On a side note, would it be possible to get more than 250 health in Exile? Or is that set in stone?

--------------------
-ben4808
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Someone tried... modifying... his Blades of Exile saved game to give himself more than 250 health once. It didn't work very well; every time he gained a level, it reset back to 250.

(It's possible to get to 251 health through normal means if you're at 249 health and train in Health. But again, if you gain a level it resets itself to 250.)

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #16
IIRC, there are water fountains hidden in Exile 2 that can boost your health and energy to above 200 and 99 for a short period of time, though it probably wears off after gaining a level too.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

One of the weird things about the level caps is that they aren't always pure caps on what level your characters can achieve. I'm pretty sure that I hit a level cap in A1 or A2 by having my party's average level hit the level cap.

This can be misleading when you're trying to figure out what the level cap actually is.

I recall that the level cap in A1 was 40 and quite straightforward. A 4-person party with one advantage or a 3-person party with 2 advantages should reach the level cap.

The A2 cap at 50 was complicated by a great slowdown in xp gain that made most characters get stuck around 45-49. I have reached level 50 on one occasion, though, and it was the max at least on my Windows version of the game.

[ Monday, January 16, 2006 13:31: Message edited by: Alex ]
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #18
Personally, I didn't mind the lvl-40 cap in A1 (in retrospect, not at the time). Aside from cheating, the only way to get it is do ALL the dungeons. I found the Garzahd and Rentar battles in A2&A3 moderately difficult (on Torment) and the Hawthorne battle in A1 uber-difficult (on Medium or Hard, can't remember which). All because of the level cap (and probably a healthy dose of RPG inexperience).

Remember, the point of playing computer games is to be challenged to near-breaking point.

--------------------
What if we combined D&D with Avernum? Just think of the possibilities! (Aaaaah! Dire Alien Beasts!)

[ Tuesday, January 17, 2006 11:03: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Apprentice
Member # 3438
Profile #19
Thats funny. I find A2 harder in general than A1. The second time I did the hawthorne battle I found myself wishing I had played on hard rather than medium. I dont recall what level my guys are at, but I know that I got pretty much every knowledge brew in the game, so that might be it.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
A2 is harder than A1.

—Alorael, who isn't averse to changing the difficulty in the middle of the game for certain fights. Presumably Jeff put in that feature so that you're not stuck with a bad choice all the way through, but you can also use it to make certain tough battles easier or, if you are so inclined, certain easy battles tougher.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #21
Dikiyoba keeps the difficulty as high as possible so the game doesn't get boring and adjusts to the next lowest level to beat those battles that are just a smidgen too difficult and it is too much of a hassle to come back later at a higher level. Or if a higher level would make that tough combat too easy.