What are you favorite fantasy authors?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What are you favorite fantasy authors?
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #0
I presume that most people who like fantasy RPGs also like fantasy novels to some extent, so I thought I'd ask what people liked. Some of my favorites are Harry Turtledove, David Eddings (before his newest series), Terry Brooks (specific titles), George R.R. Martin, Mercedes Lackey, John Marco, and of course, J.R.R. Tolkien. How about you?

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Funny you should mention it...

[Edit: In a post this short it shouldn't be hard to get things right!]

—Alorael, who encourages everyone to direct posts to the other thread. Minor necromancy is okay when the thread is close to identical.

[ Thursday, December 08, 2005 22:46: Message edited by: Dire Whit Char ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Encourage to use the other thread you do. Yet close this thread you do not? :P

Actually, I'd like to use the opportunity to ask which is David Eddings' newest series. I've read his Belgariad/Malloreon and the Elenium/Tamuli, and while both of them were okay at best, the latest isn't any worse than the others. So did he do another series that is really atrocious?

[ Friday, December 09, 2005 00:16: Message edited by: An array cat ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #3
Sorry. I read back 2 month in the forums and could have sworn that wasn't there. Next time i'll tery to be more thorough before posting a new topic. The Belgariad/Malloreon and Elenium/Tamuli were good, even with overused plot devices. The characterization helped overcome the reused plot. The Redemption of althalus was also very good, but the new series, The Dreamers, I found to be rather bad.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
Sorry to revive, but I like The Dreamers. Have you read all three that have been released? One thing, though: It seems that Eddings loves having nimble little characters: Silk in Belgariad/Mallorean, and Rabbit in The Dreamers.

I havn't yet read Redemption of Althalus or The Rivan Codex, but I like Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress, as well as the Belgariad and Mallorean.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #5
The Rivan Codex is not an actual novel. It's just a collection of background information and reference material that Eddings drew up when he was writing the Belgariad/Malloreon. I would highly recommend The Redemption of Althalus. It's a great novel. As for the Dreamers series, I only read The Elder Gods and didn't really care for it, so I didn't continue on. I think perhaps it has to do with when I read them. I read the Belgariad/Malloreon when I was around your age, Spring, and only recently picked up The Elder Gods. My taste in books seems to have changed slightly over the past few years. I still like what I read before, but perhaps that is because I already have developed a fondness for those novels. This does not mean that these books are only for younger people, simply that my taste in books seems to have changed slightly in recent years.

EDIT: Have you read the Elenim/Tamuli? If you haven't, I recommend those as well. Eddings will always be one of my favorite authors. While not fantasy per se, Regina's Song is also worth checking out. I didn't really care for High Hunt or The Losers though.

[ Sunday, December 11, 2005 23:46: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #6
it goes in this order
jrr tolkien(being the best book i have ever readen and best movie
robert jordan(wheel of time)
margerat weis and tracy hickmen(authors of the continuing and everlasting series off dragonlance

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Topic schizophrenia? Just say no!

—Alorael, who sloganizes but does not play well with others.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00