Musicnames

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Musicnames
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #0
While listening to music in bed last night, I came upon a strange notion when the CD player came to my favorite part of track #2. I thought to myself, "If we were a race whose vocal chords could produce any sound, and our names were small chunks of music, [b]that[/b] would be mine!"

I've obligingly created and uploaded a twenty-four-second M4A file containing the segment in question. It's a repeating pattern, and my name would be just that. The clip is longer than it needs to be, so you can hear the pattern repeated several times.

Icshi's Musicname

(I strongly recommend downloading the clip then listening to it offline. Many browsers are prone to opening a window and filling it with text-gobbledegook instead of reading it as a music file. Also, if you hear a clickity-clickity-clickity in the background, try closing your media-player and listening to the clip again. Downloaded music files can be a bit tempermental at times…)

So as not to detract from the music itself, I've left it devoid of all identifying features. You'd have to have heard the piece in question, or be familiar with the style (or just be familiar with my taste in music), to identify it.

So I'm wondering — if [b]you[/b] could have a few seconds of music be your name, what would [b]you[/b] pick?

Sound clips are not necessary, though they would be helpful. I expect most people will just name the musical work in question, and merely allude to "that bit near the end that goes boom-ba-baroomp-baa-boomm."
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #1
The start of No-one Knows by Queens of The Stone Age is good, so I suppose that would be it for me.

EDIT: Better one.

[ Saturday, December 03, 2005 19:04: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #2
The chorus of the song "Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth, though the beginning riff in "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC might fit as well.

[ Saturday, December 03, 2005 19:06: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
The sound of a kazoo.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #4
A short piece of music I made called The Watery Clock.Can't provide a clip since it's an unofficial song. Think of a stream. Now think of the sound of the stream going in a scale played by a flute. That would be my name.

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #5
That sounds intriguing, Goldenking. Any chance you could make a clip, even if you just send it to my email address? I'd really like to hear that.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #6
If you make a clip, I could host it for you, so all could hear it.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #7
Unfortunately I am not of the knowledge and skill to be able to do what you ask, and I only created the music I can't play the flute. If it weren't for these restrictions I would gladly do it.

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #8
sin(440*(t+sin(4t))) with 0<t<pi

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #9
I would be a massive iguana.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
The beginning of "Dies Irae" from Mozart's Requiem.

Alternatively, certain parts (that I can't remember right now) from Mary Jean Holmes' "The Grey Pilgrim". I have a Gandalf avatar on Polaris. :)

Note that these two suggestions are entirely different in mood. The Requiem is practically raging, while the Gandalf theme is more "pensive".

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.