Insane? Get out of here...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Insane? Get out of here...
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #25
Is there an online sample so that I might determine whether I share Alorael's or Icshi's taste? :)

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
The score is available, but it doesn't do the piece justice.

—Alorael, who should be honest. He doesn't loathe, detest, and despise "In C" as much as he says. It would be more accurate to put it at the very bottom of his list of music that he can stand listening to. It doesn't prevent rational thought, but it's also much closer to ambient noise than music. If he wanted to listen to something musical, it would not be "In C."
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
I think that the soundtrack of hell is "In C" looped endlessly.
I've always thought it would be "Skater Boy" looped endlessly.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #28
Since hell is a state of mind just as much as a place, the background music would probably be individually catered to the worst tastes of every inhabitant. Meaning that those rappers would get to hear Chopin and Brahms to the end of day, and the classical fans would be forced to listen to Eminem over and over and over. :P

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #29
Then for me it would probably be a Rap version of "Skater Boy."

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #30
Yes, Riley's "score" is really little more than a guideline — every performance is different, with a great deal of improvisation involved.

There used to be an 18-minute clip (of the excellent 25th anniversary performance) for free available years and years ago at MP3.com, but it's long since gone. You'd really have to hear at least this much to develop a real impression of the piece. It's very slow, and requires a long attention span and a great deal of careful listening. The full piece is an hour and fifteen minutes.

There are various performances available on CD. I think the best recording is the 25th anniversary performance, in which Riley himself took part:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/ -/B000000R3V/qid=1130998607/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-5146064-2860103?v=glance&s=classical

There's a teeny-tiny sound clip, but hardly enough to even get a rough feeling for the piece.

Here are some of the other recordings:

The Shanghai Film Orchestra, using Chinese instruments. Very bouncy and cheerful, this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai l/-/B0000007WF/qid=1129836160/sr=1-23/ref=sr_1_23/102-5146064-2860103?v=glance&s=classical

One done by a Japanese group, with a nice droning background:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/ B0000647KU/qid=1129834753/sr=1-13/ref=sr_1_13/102-5146064-2860103?v=glance&s=music

A group called Bang on a Can did a performance a few years ago (no sound clip here, though one can be found at the iTunes music store):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0 0005NUPM/qid=1129837557/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-5146064-2860103?v=glance&s=music

And the original 1968 performance (also with Riley participating), which is a bit too fast and shrill for my taste:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/ detail/-/B0000024Q8/qid=1131924153/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5146064-2860103?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

[ Sunday, November 13, 2005 14:45: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #31
I must be insane, because I started laughing immediately.

-Jame, who's not leaving the Spiderweb boards for anything save the woman who is worthy of convincing him to do so, and who actually does.

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #32
I was already laughing when I clicked the link. It does not take much to amuse me and I am always smiling unless something annoys/offends me.

Does that prove that I am finally insane?! Wow! Great, I had always failed with leaving my sanity at the door. My sanity happen to be all gooey and sticky like... goo. Perhaps I lost my sanity the moment I typed "www.runescape.com".

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #33
You don't lose your sanity to Runescape; you lose your soul.

--------------------

Pages