making a website

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: making a website
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I want to make my own website, so I can put there my BoA things and such. I tried at www.dot.tk, but I have to have an existing web page, so that didn't work. Is there somewhere a place were I can register for a FREE website, and then make it?

--------------------
"remember, children, that chickens are your friends. you must only eat them when you've the appropriate oven and gardening supplies."- As said by Benjamin van Soldt himself.

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #1
I use www.angelfire.com

You get 20 megs of free space, 1GB of Monthly Bandwidth, it has a simple page builder if you don't know HTML, but it automatically puts banners on your pages.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Warrior
Member # 4478
Profile Homepage #2
A lot of ISP's will give you some webspace with your internet connection. Is that not in your deal?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
No, I don't think so. I haven't seen it. I'll try Angelfire.

Thanks! I made a website. Some time this week I'll give a link to it.

[ Monday, October 31, 2005 06:20: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
"remember, children, that chickens are your friends. you must only eat them when you've the appropriate oven and gardening supplies."- As said by Benjamin van Soldt himself.

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
I have experiences ranging from abysmal to just barely bearable with http://www.freewebs.com and http://www.geocities.com http://www.tripod.com .

Geocities took a huge hit in quality when they moved from ad images/iframes in pages to ad sideframes that more often than not break the page. :rolleyes: Since then, I planned to move my own BoE/A site to Freewebs, but abandoned that when I made it into a wiki and hosted it on our family webspace instead (still down, though I now know what should fix it).

Still, Geocities and Tripod (the latter phased out, I think) have been the traditional hosts of choice for BoE site webmasters. On the Webring, you can still see a vast number of Geocities hosted sites: TM's University, Blazing Blade, A Simple BoE Page, Caligula's, Frahhamn's, HYZ, Rosy's, etc. etc.

For a simple graphics archive and scenario repository it should be enough. Keep in mind, however, that while BoE scenarios are a few hundred K in size, BoA ones frequently come in at over 1-2 MB. With the relatively small webspace and bandwidth you have available, that is a lot.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
Thanks for your reply, Aran (at least I think you are Aran), but I already succesfully completed my page. Here is a link to it: Its my own page!!!!

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #6
Personally, I have never had any trouble with angelfire. You only get 20 megs, but even with a compressed 22 meg UT2004 mod among other things, I'm only at 6.5 megs taken up.

A link to my very own web page!

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
Hm... I might have to go set something up... after all, it might be good to host DoK from somewhere besides Spidweb.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

...Its my own page!!!!
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

...A link to my very own web page!
Congratulations!

:confused: Thralni's page though has a painful amount of pop up ads while Eldibs' hasn't ...

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #9
They both hurt my eyes. :\

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #10
hmm am i the only one that has a freewebs site?

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

...Its my own page!!!!
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

...A link to my very own web page!
Congratulations!

:confused: Thralni's page though has a painful amount of pop up ads while Eldibs' hasn't ...

I really don't know if i can disable that. i'm almost sure I can't. However, i don't see the problem with the pop-ups. At least they don't show up, floatong around in seperate windows (at least not with me).

Do they hurt your eyes? Awww, poor baby. Its my first attempt! Please remember that!

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #12
The banner ads are automatically put there by angelfire. You can't disable them. Both pages appear to have the same amount of banners to me.

[ Monday, October 31, 2005 13:00: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #13
Okay, so my first try in trying to figure out how HTML works wasn't that spectacular either..

And seriously. That's my very, very first try at doing HTML with the notepad. -_-; I'm glad I'm at least somewhat better nowadays.

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #14
:P Neeeat, Riibu - I have scrambled eyes now.
Ist the email link the only one working yet?

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #15
Not bad for a first try. BTW, I reccomend ConTEXT for HTML editing, as the highlighter makes the page source easier to read. you can get it at:

www.context.cx

Oh, and in case anybody didn't know, you can get to my website by clicking the word 'get' in my sig.

[ Monday, October 31, 2005 13:02: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #16
I myself use Arachnophilia now. The old version. I still have to do all the HTML by hand, but I don't mind that, and anyway the highlighting helps.

Spy, do you mean in my tryout page, or someone else's? :\

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #17
Does it only have HTML highlighters, or does it have highlighters for other languages as well?

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Ares God of War:

hmm am i the only one that has a freewebs site?
Milla has one, and I once hosted my NationStates factbook on Freewebs (before an enterprising member started a Wiki for us to put our nations' factbooks in). In fact, I only knew of it because of Milla's page. :P

With Geocities' decline, it's definitely better because its forced ads (are there any, actually? Besides a line "Hosted by Freewebs"?) are far less intrusive.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #19
I use Freewebs. No banners or popups.

--------------------
-ben4808

My signiture is el very good.
post count = 0 + current

Visit the CSM Forums!
Warrior
Member # 4478
Profile Homepage #20
This is my masterpiece of a website. It's done entirely with MS Paint and Notepad, with the exception of the current fake banner ad that was sent to me by a friend. It was drawn in MS Paint, but obviously animated using something else.

I get my hosting free because my friend owns Triptychos. Even if you have to pay though, the prices are good.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #21
That is an awesome page, man!

--------------------
-ben4808

My signiture is el very good.
post count = 0 + current

Visit the CSM Forums!
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Pien' Kiusanhenki:

Spy, do you mean in my tryout page, or someone else's? :\

My bad, I meant your tryout page and took it not as exemple but as page you are currently working on. Thus ignore my question -_-

--------------------