how many levels...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: how many levels...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #25
I'll have you know that senile circumlocution is a time-honored way of posting a great deal. Why, back in 2001 we used to have discussions so confused that even the first post was often off-topic and the second post readable only in L-space. Speaking of L-space, did you know that large forums warp the internet-time continuum? It's true! The extreme density (in more ways than one) has terrible effects (in more ways than one) on more than one thing.

Where was I?

—Alorael, who needs to be excused while he searches for his dentures and/or glasses.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

We should hold an election to select a special title for Alorael, to be granted some time after the Pizzabella thing has grown old. This would not be binding on the adms, any more than the other recent elections were; but it would still be fun. Being even more inconsequential than the General modship, it might generate even more pointless bitterness. This would be even more fun.

I propose the candidate " ": a blank title to represent the inadequacy of any title. It's elegant and concise. It's the brashly over-the-top ne plus ultra in understatement: shibui to the max, and you gotta love that. Like poetry, it nothing affirmeth. It satisfies all constraints vacuously. It's a single-character koan. It's the custom title everyone wants, whether they realize it or not, but at most one member deserves it.

I think that's a great idea. However, I find " " to be completely inadequate for the uniquely important position of Alorael's custom title. This title will have to be a dignified representation of Aloreal's unique character and as such, nothing less than "–" will do. For the greater good of... (*Is dragged away from the podium.*)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #27
*gasp* You would insult Alorael with a minus sign?! Have you no respect for the dignity of the m-dash?!

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #28
That was an m-dash, as you can clearly see by comparing it to the minus sign: – -

EDIT: Looks like it turned into minus sign when it was posted on the boards. Did the turtles eat half of it?

[ Monday, October 03, 2005 08:51: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #29
Actually, it's an endash. For me it's clearly different in length from both an emdash (which is what it should have been) and a hyphen. Possibly you're using a weird font that doesn't properly distinguish between them.

Emdash, endash and hyphen respectively arranged below, for your edification.

-

If they all look the same to you, it's your browser's fault, not mine.

[ Monday, October 03, 2005 15:18: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
endash and minus look the same in the font used in the text box in which I'm typing, but emdash is clearly different.

—Alorael, who is much more worried about the spelling of his name. A before E! Think ash (æ) if you like Old English or connected vowels if you are British or a scholar of Latin. Or just put them in alphabetical order.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #31
I would like to say I am hyphen-addicted. :)

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Actually, it's an endash. For me it's clearly different in length from both an emdash (which is what it should have been) and a hyphen. Possibly you're using a weird font that doesn't properly distinguish between them.

Emdash, endash and hyphen respectively arranged below, for your edification.

&mdash
&ndash
-

If they all look the same to you, it's your browser's fault, not mine.

All different, although I have to squint for the ndash.

Also, I think Alo should spell himself Alor&aaelig;l. :)

[ Monday, October 03, 2005 21:36: Message edited by: Aran-something. ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik

Pages