Jack Vance wizards

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Jack Vance wizards
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
Before too long I will realize a long-held dream of being able to assign names to a number of computers in a small network. Since everybody and her dog does Tolkien names, my plan is to do Dying Earth wizards.

The first big machine must naturally be Iucounu. I also have in mind to name a machine Maugifer, after Makke the Maugifer. Faucelme is another obvious choice, and Pharesme has some appeal. If one machine stands out for its power, it can perhaps be Phandaal.

I welcome further suggestions, or arguments for and against the ones I have mentioned. A desirable quality is having a good quote involving the name. (E.g. for Maugifer: 'Persons could lift their eyes to his countenance once, and with effort twice, but never three times, so great was the force of his maugery.')

The printer attached to Iucounu must of course be Sadlark. A little iBook destined to travel far will be Cugel.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #1
ok WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?????????/

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #2
????

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #3
Isn't it obvious?

He has the opportunity to name a network of computers, so he is naming them after wizards from the Dying Earth books, which are written by Jack Vance. He wants us to suggest which names he should use. Since I doubt most people here have read the Dying Earth series, I don't think he will get many suggestions.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
I haven't either. But although I'm a Tolkien fan, I'd most likely wouldn't choose computer names from LotR. Rather, say, Myst (though whether to name them after Ages or characters, I'm not sure). Or perhaps Avernum characters, just to make sure nobody knows what the hell it's about. :P

The network in our university names them after elements; the mailserver is "Thorium" for example.

[ Sunday, October 02, 2005 17:23: Message edited by: Aran-something. ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
Well, I've read the books, but it's been too long for me to really remember anyone. Wish I could be of more help.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.