Those who now used cars.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Those who now used cars.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #0
I have a question for anybody that knows about used cars and what they should be priced at for sale. I have a 1997 Dodge Neon 4 door car, with Cd player, new winter tires 89,000 Km. Well I bought it two weeks ago. But last week it was wrecked by a drunk driver. I mean it was in a parking stall and some guy smashed into the doors then took off. Well the insurance company says its not able to fix it. They are offering me 5,110 $. 300$ less than I paid for it. Not bad but if any body can find evidence of a 97 Neon selling for more than $5,110 I will pay them 100$. Seriously. The said evidence should be from within Canada at least if not B.C. Anybody with advice please go ahead. Thanks.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
Scrap it and get another one.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
That's what he's trying to do, ben; he's trying to get more money out of the insurance company first by proving the car was worth more than they say it is.

Next time, get an insurer who offers agreed value instead of market value. Less hassle.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
I've never had or heard of insurance paying the cost of repair or replacement, especially with totalled cars. A $300 out of pocket difference is actually a fairly good deal.

—Alorael, who wonders how the insurance would respond to documentation of your having paid the full price two weeks ago. He doesn't suppose it's good enough evidence to hold up, as the insurance can just claim you got a bad deal, but it's evidence.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
With the trouble insurance companies generally give you when it comes to actually paying you anything, I'd be relieved they offer something close to a fair deal. The 300 bucks sting, of course, especially if that's close to a month's wage or two. :mad:

Oh, and I would be surprised if they were persuaded by evidence of the kind you speak of. They weren't persuaded by you paying the full price, so why should they be by some stranger offering another car for the same?

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 20:59: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Well, it's likely that the $300 is an excess -- that is, in the event of a claim, the insurance company agrees to pay $300 less than the cost of repair or replacement. (The purpose of an excess is to prevent people from making a claim for a trivial amount of damage). However, a lot of insurance companies will insure a car at its market value. So if he can prove that the average market value of that model of car is $6000, he could get $5700.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
How much evidence is sufficient to satisfy the insurance company, though?

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #7
Say, you can show a perfectly legal document of the market price, signed by 10 officials and professionals.

Perhaps you could need a team of lawyers, too. Or you could become a terrorist and black-mail the insurance company saying that you will bomb them or send mails with viruses. Simple and easy. :P

I think you will not have much luck with that problem but you could always try.

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
Well, that's the thing. They have a whole team of insurance assessors whose job it is to work out the value of the stuff they're insuring. They're not easily persuaded by a claimant who, after all, has a vested interest in overestimating the item's value.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #9
That actually sounds like a pretty reasonable deal. If the car had, say, 80,000 miles on it, according to Kelley's Blue Book it would be worth US$1725 in "good" condition.

I say take the money and run. Insurance companies have an interest in undervaluing the claim, and this assessment is pretty close to what you paid. Given that you're relying on your insurance as opposed to the other party's, it's about what you can expect - rarely will anyone get the full value of their car when it's totalled in this circumstance.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #10
If you're only losing $300 between the original price and what you can get now, that's not bad at all.
My family has a 1990 dodge van which I now drive, which was severely dented another car hit it glancingly in the side. (This was before I could drive.) The insurance company claimed that the van was totaled, and tried to stop insuring it and pay us $1800, which they claimed was the van's value as scrap. We got the dent fixed for much less than $1800, and the van is still perfectly good.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!