Your platform

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Your platform
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #25
Sorry, browser error!

[ Thursday, August 18, 2005 03:58: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
What Thuryl hasn't said is that he's probably also well versed in operating systems back to Windows 3 and System 6. In addition to being specialized, biomedical software has an unfortunate tendency to be too expensive to be worth upgrading, to be impossible to upgrade without upgrading attached hardware, or simply not upgraded. If that plate reader was written in the early 90's, then by God everyone will use a contemporary computer for it!

—Alorael, who suspects that ENIAC is still used to run several hospital databases.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
Tell me about it. One of the labs I've worked in still has spectrometers from the 1980s. And I'm pretty sure nobody's bought an oscilloscope in the past 50 years -- either that or the design's remained exactly identical in all that time to avoid disturbing sensitive engineers.

And sadly, your statement about Windows 3 is truer than you know; two years ago I was taking practical classes in a physics lab where the computers still ran Windows 3.1.

[ Thursday, August 18, 2005 20:54: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #28
I have to work with OS/2.

Edit: On reading the comment about Windows 3.1, I removed the "pfft".

[ Thursday, August 18, 2005 21:01: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #29
Sega Megadrive.

That aside, as far as an actual computer goes, I'm a PC-user, running WinXP, despite how evil it is. I don't mind it and I don't see a good reason why I should be unsatisfied with it, when it runs what I want to run. Though, admittedly, if I try playing every game on this computer, at once, it does complain, a little. :P

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #30
I use a Windows for playing Exile and Avernum. I use a Mac for getting online. The only time I get online from the Windows is to download things. The Windows is way too slow.

It'd be nice to have BoE registered on a Mac, but making that transition is more trouble than it's worth.

[ Saturday, August 20, 2005 13:39: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #31
I use Windows because it's all that's compatible with my school. As a result it's my fav.

Last time I hopped on a Mac I got the impression you couldn't screw around with it as much as a Windows (registry etc), is this correct?

Sing: "There's only Alice."

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #32
You can mess around with the innards of the Mac OS if you know what you're doing, but it may require utilities that don't come with your computer. Some are made by Apple, some aren't. Some are free of charge, some aren't. In general, though, the average user would just install a third-party system extension to get the sorts of functionality that a Windows user would get by editing the registry.

The above information applies to Mac OS 9 and below; the situation with OS X is somewhat different.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages