Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #25
quote:
What was interesting was that I felt sad when Anakin turned over to the dark side, but after a while, I just thought of Anakin as a hateful person.
Yes, I'm glad someone got the point of that!

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
Episode II is on TV right now, and I'm reminded of how bad it really was and how much Hayden Christensen has grown as an actor since the last movie.

I thought Episode III was compelling and well-done. A few of the lines were cheesy but certainly not unbelievable. But I did feel a little bit of the same of what Alec felt: the movie really should've ended with the shot of Darth Vader and the Emperor in front of the Death Star, without the next two shots. This was Anakin's movie, and it should've closed with him.

The complexity of the transformation was the most admirable part of the movie: I could understand how he could choose evil while feeling that he had no other choice.

I really liked the movie, overall. I thought it stood right next to the original three in terms of overall quality and may have had a psychological depth that surpassed them. It certainly blows Episodes I and II out of the water. And the transformation near the very end will, no matter what you thought of the rest of the prequel trilogy, give you chills.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #27
Cheesy but not unbelievable? Please. The acting quality is exceptional, but when given lines like "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"... well.

Here's what I find unbelievable: the struggle of loyalties Anakin goes through when he realizes Palpatine is a sith lord. (Was making Palpatine a sith lord truly necessary? I have to wonder - it just seems far-fetched.) If he was willing to tell the council that Palpatine was a sith lord, he's bright enough to know that the result is going to be the ineluctable destruction of either the Council or Palpatine's government, and that Palpatine's government is in the wrong.

I don't understand how he would go from telling Mace Windu Palpatine was pure evil to struggling to decide who to help when he found Windu and Palpatine in pitched battle. Yes, there's the 'justice' element, but that came off as an excuse; being a Sith lord is apparently a crime suitable of death in the Republic, and he both confessed to it to Anakin and pretty much completely revealed it with the force-lightning stuff.

Yes, there's the Padme element, but he has to know she's on the jedi council's side - and that by taking Palpatine's side, he will lose her anyway.

I just don't get it. If he were conflicted yet leaning towards the dark side, he wouldn't have told Mace Windu in the first place; if he were conflicted yet leaning towards the Jedi, he would have interceded in Windu's favor.

My big problem with that part of the movie (I've got other big problems with other parts, but they should be relatively obvious) is that the way the capstone of the conflict is set up doesn't make a whole damn lot of sense. Granted, the post-resolution stuff was powerful enough (the re-naming, the temple scene, etc.), but I didn't like or really even get how Lucas got there.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #28
Yeah, it was definately better than the first two. I think they could have showed the stuff with Luke and Leia before showing Vader and the Death Star, but I didn't think it was too bad the way it was done.

--------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #29
quote:
Here's what I find unbelievable
Light sabers? The force? That it's set far into the future with intersteller travel and blasters and clone troops? The robot armies?

quote:
the struggle of loyalties Anakin goes through when he realizes Palpatine is a sith lord. (Was making Palpatine a sith lord truly necessary? I have to wonder - it just seems far-fetched.)
Oh.

quote:
If he was willing to tell the council that Palpatine was a sith lord, he's bright enough to know that the result is going to be the ineluctable destruction of either the Council or Palpatine's government, and that Palpatine's government is in the wrong.
Yes, but the point is that he's torn between doing what he knows he is supposed to do and what he wants to have happen, even though he knows that contradicts his other goals.

quote:

Yes, there's the Padme element, but he has to know she's on the jedi council's side - and that by taking Palpatine's side, he will lose her anyway.
He also knows that she will die if he stays on the Jedi's side, and that he's already broken the Jedi rules because he knocked up the former queen of naboo. So even if he does do the right thing, he still will be expelled from the Jedi Order.

--------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
Remember that he himself was forced to kill Count Dooku (or whatever) when the Count was unarmed and begging for mercy. It was an almost identical situation, and he was overcompensating for his previous failure.

The other part of that is sort of what was just pointed out: his loyalties are already to Palpatine much more than to anyone else at this point (even more than to the Republic itself), and those loyalties are not easy to relinquish. Episodes II and III both make a big deal out of how much Anakin owes his entire place among the Jedi to Palpatine. It's hard just to forget about that, especially in light of the fact that he doesn't like the unarmed-and-begging-for-mercy bit.

That also helps explain why he goes so quickly evil from there. Apparently that moment — standing and watching Palpatine kill Windu — was the turning point, the point from which there was no coming back.

I liked this part, because I felt that it showed how he felt that he had no other choice when he sort of did but also how it turned him evil. It was a bit startling, but I think it's right.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #31
I liked how Anakin's premenition only came true because he tried to stop it (by becoming evil, which in turn made padame lose her will to live). I also liked how palpatine told him he killed Padame in his anger. At first glance it seems like an evil lie, but when you think about it more he really did...
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Custer XVI:

...you know, just cut to the credits as soon as you first hear the respirator.
Thats exactly what I thought. They should of shown all the stuff about Luke/Leya (is that how you spell it?) and Padame's death, and then shown the operation on Anakin and the first breath that he took.

[ Sunday, May 22, 2005 21:31: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris

Pages