Male Choice

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Male Choice
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #0
Google's first pick:
http://www.menweb.org/throop/choice/natcentmen.html

There's an active abortion thread, so I'd like to hear what you think about the man's right to "terminate" an unwanted fatherhood, i.e. when she wants a child, but he does not. Perhaps not in the sense that he could force the pregnant woman to abort their fetus, but in the sense that he could freely choose whether to support the unwanted child or not.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Er, I think not. A man getting a woman pregnant and running out on her happens often enough even with child support.

This is the kind of law I'd abuse if I had the opportunity, which is why I know it'd be a bad idea.

[ Sunday, March 27, 2005 03:35: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #2
Are you saying that pregnancies are always the fault of the father only? The courts should judge individuals, not genders.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
I'm not saying that, but I am saying that when a relationship breaks up, the woman is almost always the one who gets stuck with the baby.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #4
pregnancies are not only the fault of a man but also of the woman so that should be taken into account. there really is no such thing as accidental pregnancy so it is the fault of the parents, equally, unless sex was forced

women are ussually the ones stuck with the baby becaus men cant breast feed :P

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
It doesn't seem right to me that the mother has veto power over whether the couple, whether or not they are a couple, has a child. On the other hand, an easy out on child support is a very bad solution. Some kind of forced abortion is better, except of course for the moral outcry that would ensue. And, of course, the father shouldn't get veto power either.

—Alorael, who doesn't have any good solution as long as the word abortion causes blood pressures to skyrocket world-wide.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #6
Well back to it's MY womb. What if the woman wanted be a mother. As stated above this would defiantly be taken advantage of my runaway dads.

This just the other side of the controlling the womb coin.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
This idea seems utterly deplorable.

Quoting from the site:

quote:
Regardless of the circumstances of conception, whether it is because of rape,
This is the only exception I see. If you're raped by a woman and you get her pregnant, you should not be liable to pay child support.

quote:
whether it is because of contraceptive fraud
Really, just use a condom if you aren't absolutely sure the other person is using contraceptives and you don't want children.

quote:
whether it is a case of mistaken identity
...what? Please make sure you know who the girl you're screwing is.

quote:
or whether the male is extremely immature, he has no relief.
This is a case for sex education, not an easily-abusable law.

[ Sunday, March 27, 2005 09:10: Message edited by: Imban ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
Of course, I think abortion should be stopped altogether, but...

As long as it is legal, I think both parents should have to agree before the abortion is made.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by ben2:

Of course, I think abortion should be stopped altogether, but...

As long as it is legal, I think both parents should have to agree before the abortion is made.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

A significant amount of the debate on abortion is about the fact that when the parents break up, or one of them wants to abort the child and the other doesn't, the ethics of the situation become somewhat fuzzy.

But making it so that both parents would be forced to agree means that unless the father chooses to sign a bit of paper, the woman is stuck with the child. In other words, this gives the father absolute veto power. On the other hand, if the mother wants an abortion, but the father thinks she shouldn't abort it, then there is no abortion again.

Oh, and I hope nobody is idiotic enough to claim that children should not be aborted when the woman was raped or when her life is in danger.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
Hmm. I think that a father desiring to take custody of a child after it is born, even if the mother doesn't want the child and would otherwise abort it, should have a right to have the child born. The mother and father could work out how child support would work in this circumstance. Would this not be equitable, since in the current legal environment, women have the final say?
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #11
Well, if the mother doesn't want a baby but the father does, the mother could sign over parental rights after birth. Or she could give up the baby for adoption. She really is never 'stuck' with a child she doesn't want.

The real fight would probably come when the mohter doesn't want to experience pregnancy and birth. No matter how much the father would want to, (would a guy ever want to?) he couldn't carry the baby for her. Be inconveneced and uncomfortable for nine months then go through excruciating pain and come out with stretchmarks, babyfat that may never be worked off, and possible huge scars if c-section is needed is alot to ask of a woman when she doesn't want to do it.

Personally I would always choose adoption before abortion and would encourge other women to also, but I think some women will always feel it is not worth it to make a life they don't want to make.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley