I wonder...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I wonder...
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #0
If we wanted to use Exile as the backdrop for a book or story that was going to be published...is that allowed? Who would we have to talk to???

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
You would have to talk to Jeff. As a general rule, this is not a good idea. However, underground civilizations are not Jeff's idea; they preceded him by quite a bit. If you used much the same general setting but created different names, different geography, and different details (magic, etc), then you'd be on fairly safe ground.

[ Saturday, March 12, 2005 18:19: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Who would be writing the book anyway? Fanfiction is on a shady terrain, but for the most part nobody will take action while you do not make money from it. And as for that - well, have you gotten a book published before? Written a few at least? Good luck, but...

(Ouch. I used an ellipse.)

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
His answer is going to be no, unless you promised to give him 99% of the profits or something like that.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #4
i think that he'll settle for 98.9999999%
i have thought of writing a book on one of his games but decided that i would rather make something up on my own than have to depend on jeff to tell me how much money i get

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
Word to the Wise: Before you send the manuscript to your publisher, make sure to put some punctuation in.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #6
oh thats okay aran punctguation is not needed these dais and neither is pselling or anything like that thats why they pay proofreaders and such people to that besides itaintlike it slthat difficult to read rwlly ,most of the time a yeah owhat loomj therwa fk;js.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #7
Writing a scenario is a virtual book, and there are limited restriction on it.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
If you go by scenarios, then Jeff won't complain if you write any derivative stuff, but will come down on you if you try to make money off it.

Then again, the scenarios are only playable by people who bought the game, unlike the book.

Unless you have written and/or published several books before, I don't even see why you should worry - you have a negligible chance of getting it published anyway, copyright aside.

--------------------