Did I just hear that?!?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Did I just hear that?!?
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #0
As some people here are aware, I work as an announcer on a Christian radio station. One of the things we put to air is a little thing called "The Word for Today". It's basically a collection of little life lessons or two minute sermons. I don't like it at all, personally. It tends to be quite grating and patronising. But the other day, out comes this little gem.

quote:
Hymns. The word hymn comes from the word hymen, which is the tough membrane sealing the entrance to the womb. Hymns help you to break through the hard outer shell of flesh and into the place where God's comforting Spirit dwells.

That's a direct quote. Broke my brain utterly.

Click to see this in "context".

[ Friday, January 07, 2005 15:10: Message edited by: The Creator ]

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #1
I find it interesting you believe religion should be utterly comprehensive and yet are discomfited by the presence of lady parts.

Sounds like an urban legend to me, but still...

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
I was curious, so I checked the OED, and it appears that this etymology is wrong, but possibly not as wrong as one might think.

The word "hymen" in reference to the vaginal part is from the god Hymen, obviously. The god Hymen is, in Latin, just "Hymen," from the Greek "Humên" (closest I could come to a macron :P ). The word "hymn" is "hymnus," from the Greek "humnos" (and since the Greek "U" gets turned into a Latin "Y" and the Greek -os suffix becomes a Latin -us suffix, it appears to be a direct transliteration). "Hymên" and "hymnos" are different enough that it's clear that the Greeks and Romans thought of them as very different words.

However, the OED doesn't say whether they stem from the same Indo-European root, which seems possible. I don't know where to look this up, though.

EDIT: The explanation is pretty funny, though. Is that what it's like to be in God's grace? Like being inside a fresh, new vagina?

[ Friday, January 07, 2005 15:52: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
That's kinda Freudian.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Looks like they share a root to me. Hymen is the root of a number of words pertaining to wedlock. (Strangely enough, hymen was a generic term for membranes until only a few hundred years ago.) One of the derived words, hymenaios, meant a wedding song, presumably praising Hymen. From there, it may have evolved into a song of divine praise in general.

So yes, hymn and hymen share a root, but hymn doesn't come directly from hymen. Their common root is either in weddings or in a god.

—Alorael, who would also be rather surprised to see that connection come up on Christian radio. In America, at least, that's a bit too risqué for the Puritan underpinnings of most Christian sects.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
In French, the word hymen meant marriage for a long time, but it has fallen out of common usage.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #6
Problem with that quote is that you don't need to break out of anything to dwell with the Spirit. The Spirit comes to us, we need not go to it.

quote:
Originaly written by Kelandon: Is that what it's like to be in God's grace? Like being inside a fresh, new vagina?
Meh, I've never been inside one. I'd have no frame of reference.

[ Saturday, January 08, 2005 05:18: Message edited by: Gizmo ]

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #7
Test-tube child, I take it?

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #8
well, you probably wouldn't remember actually being inside (and how it feels :/), so does it make a difference?

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #9
My mother was not a virgin when I was in her womb. I was the second child, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't a virgin while my sister was in the womb either.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
I don't think any body parts are fresh and new after a few years, with the exception of teeth, hair, skin, and nails. Oh, sure, they're "well maintained" and "refurbished," but I don't trust these cells after so many generations.

—Alorael, who supposes that a better term would be unused. And he thinks he'll abandon this line of speculation now.
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #11
Khymen was the god of marriage in the Hellenic pantheon. (The sound transliterated "kh" is pronounced as a stong Spanish "j" or, more acurately, the Hebrew letter khet or the Greek eta.) Khymenaois was Greek for a wedding paen. Hymn comes to us from the Greek khymnos, which was essentially a paen to the various members of the pantheon and the mythological heroes. It should be noted that uses of hymn date to the beggining of the Second Millenia in the Old French ymne and the Old English ymen, hymen comes from the French hymen and was first known to be used in 1615. While the two words may have had the same ultimate root, it should be recognized that they had certainly diverged by the end of the First Millenia since ymne and hymen, the two French roots, are very different.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #12
Methinks the Gizmo misunderstood :P .

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
Dastal, you just gave the same etymology that I did.

Also, I've never seen anyone transliterate a rough breathing as "kh" before. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's a bad transliteration, because that's what people use for the X-like character, the chi or khi, instead of for a rough breathing.

[ Saturday, January 08, 2005 15:50: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
I've seen "kh" for gutturals before, usually in transliterated hebrew. That doesn't make it especially good, but at least "kh" is pretty clearly a sound that doesn't appear in English. "Ch" is already reserved.

—Alorael, who thinks the alphabet should be updated to include more sounds. Then everyone can learn esperanto and there will be world peace.
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #15
You've actually probably all seen the kh transliteration before, at least if you know anything about Soviet history. Khruschev uses that transliteration. =) The really cool one is the African tribe, I think its the Bushmen, that have a clicking sound in their name, translitterated by an exclamation point.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Yes, Khruschev uses the "kh" transliteration... for a chi. You're transliterating a rough breathing. That's an H.

Hymen and Khymen would be two completely different Greek words, and Hymen is the god. I don't know if Khymen actually means anything, but it certainly isn't an appropriate transliteration of the god's name.

EDIT: For those who don't know, I'm referring to specific Greek sounds. One is called a "rough breathing," which is a little apostrophe-like thing that appears over an initial vowel and is pronounced like an H. The other is a chi, which is written like an X and is a letter in Cyrillic as well (which is why a Soviet leader would have that letter in his name). Chi is pronounced like the "kh" that Dastal described, so it's sometimes transliterated "ch" and sometimes "kh."

The Greek god's name has a rough breathing, not a chi, so it would properly be transliterated Hymen.

[ Saturday, January 08, 2005 21:30: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #17
You say a Spanish 'j', a Hebrew 'chet', or a Greek 'eta', but all three have very different sounds.

In Greek, that breathing sound is represented by what looks like an apostrophe over the first letter of the word. It would probably appear over an eta or an upsilon in this case. It appears in words like Hellas too.

There is no rough breathing in Hebrew like that at all. It just comes in the form of the 'ch' or 'kh' which is a harsh consonant exactly like the Greek 'chi'.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Methinks the Gizmo misunderstood.
I understood, I still have no frame of reference.

Because of what I lack, I wouldn't be able to compare the pleasures.

[ Sunday, January 09, 2005 04:53: Message edited by: Gizmo ]

--------------------