Good C++ books?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Good C++ books?
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #0
I've been trying to find a good book on C++ for over a year now. So far I've only found books that are either for the wrong system or too complicated for me to understand. Basically, I need a C++ book that teaches it so it works on Mac and simple enough so that a high school sudent can understand it(doesn't matter what year). Does anyone have any recommendations?

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #1
A good programming book shouldn't require you to be on any given system. The fundamentals of programming nearly any language are identical on all systems.

First C++ book I came across was C++ For Dummies; it was good, but that was in the days when the "For Dummies" books didn't suck. Now they do. Avoid.

I'd recommend C++: The Complete Reference, but it's crap. I threw out all of my C++ books a while back, so I can just tell you what not to buy. :-p

"The C++ Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup, however, is the best book on C++ out there. It's written by C++'s creator.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #2
The ones I've found have been centered on scripting in one program that usually only runs on PCs.

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #3
Well the one we have for uni is 'C++ How to Program' however it comes with MS Visual C++, so im not sure of its use when programming on a Mac, but I'd believe the examples of the language would be usable on both OS's, possbly with a few changes.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #4
I am currently learning Standard ANSI C, and I find that the best books/manuals for this are:
"Using C" by Lee and Mark Atkinson published by the Que Corporation in 1990."The C Programming Language" published by Prentice Hall in 1978.LCC32 PDF documentationANSI references

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
I'd just say type "C++ guide" into Google. But then again you may have already tried that. ;)

You could use the Internet, though: go to some bookseller site such as Barnes and Noble or Amazon and look for some books there.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #6
You shouldn't be learning a programming language if you don't know enough about computers to separate the stuff you can use out of a book. Seriously.

Unless you consider yourself an expert with computers, don't touch code.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.