What complete boredom produces...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What complete boredom produces...
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #0
Does this work for anybody else? http://wfrobozz.tripod.com/exilec.zip

I got bored one day so I sat down with C and SDL and the result was the above program. It's an ~288k zipfile containing source, windows binary, and a few picture files from Exile 3 I believe (maybe BoE though).

Don't expect it to do anything fancy. The controls are the cursor keys and the escape to exit the program. In fact don't expect it to look good either. I had a few issues I never could figure out. Namely the grid-look. IMAGE(frown000.gif)

Edit: Before I forget, I tried to make the code require as little effort to port as possible. All you should need is a compiler for your platform and a copy of SDL available at http://www.libsdl.org/

[ Wednesday, March 24, 2004 20:45: Message edited by: Frobozz ]
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #1
Segfaults on

[mboeh@debs]~/exilec% uname -a
Linux debs 2.4.25 #6 Sat Feb 28 14:22:35 PST 2004 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
[mboeh@debs]~/exilec% sdl-config --version

I'll see if I can debug it.

Figured it out. It's the backslash in the path; you don't check to see if the allocated surface is valid, so it segfaults on MapRGB. Fixing it

[ Wednesday, March 24, 2004 20:57: Message edited by: Maaya ]

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #2
The file can't be remotely hosted. Oh well, workaround as follows:

Right click on the link and choose the option to 'save the target as'

I ran it, and...yeah. Well, at least it's something...

--------------------
♫ The truth is screaming BIG ♫
♫ A light so bright ♫
♫ Whether day or night ♫
It can't be hid

§ realitycorp@gmail.com §

►► Chance is back online! ◄◄
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #3
A few things:
* Exile tiles (of all kinds) are 28x36. Fixing that improves the tiling somewhat.
* The correct blit order is to blit the terrain with an origin of (0,0), blit the character, and then blit the frame. The hole inside the frame is not the right size to fit any dimensions of tiles. You have to set the gray to the alpha key, and then blit it on top.

I played with it a bit and fixed the above problems. In addition, I added some code to blit certain terrain instead of flat grass. Updated code (sans graphics) is available at

http://djur.desperance.net/code/exilec-2.zip

For your convenience, in Windows CRLF text format.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #4
Nice. The grass was getting kind of boring. IMAGE(wink0000.gif)

It's odd that Jeff didn't make the frame perfectly fit, but maybe he did that on purpose.

Funny. UltraEdit is written for Windows and it can read everything but Windows formats.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention. You wouldn't happen to know anything about the pseudo-3d tiles that Avernum uses would you? IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)

[ Thursday, March 25, 2004 18:50: Message edited by: Frobozz ]
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #5
Iso isn't all that hard. You just have to make sure to blit back-to-front.

Actually, the hardest thing in any sort of tile engine, iso or not, is multiple-tile objects. A naive coding of such objects ends up covering objects that should be on top with objects that happen to be blitted later.

The way I handle it in Pygmalion is for multi-tile creatures to be groups of special Monsters bound together by a special AI. It means I can do nifty things like long worms.

--------------------