A little thought experiment

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A little thought experiment
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #25
Where is the paradox?
Even after reading http://hometown.aol.com/kiekeben/newcomb.html.
I doubt whether I have to understand how the prediction works in order to take advantage of it.

Consider the crude assumption that the prediction is right in x*100% (e.g. 90% for x=0.9) of all cases, i.e. ignore the difference between false positive and false negative predictions:

If I take both boxes, the chance to get only 1,000 is x*100% and the chance to get 1,001,000 is (1-x)*100%. This expectation is worth x*1000 +(1-x)* 1,001,000= 1,001,000-x*(1,000,000).
For x=0.9 this means 101,000.

If I take only box B, I have x*100% chance to get 1,000,000 and (1-x)*100% chance to get nothing. This expectation is worth x*1,000,000, i.e. for x=0.9 : 900,000.

The crossover between the two expectations occurs for x=1,001,000/2,000,000 = 0.5005.
The possibility for a predictability with such a small accuracy (i.e. deviation from a random prediction) could have easily gone unnoticed
over the ages of everyday life.

On the other hand, the existence of my free will has not been "proven" to me - free will is just some folklore illusion many of us believe in. Ok, it has not proven inconsistent over ages of everyday life...

P.S.
I also want it to be known that I intend to take only box B - to make sure that my choice will be predicted correctly if the situation ever becomes reality.

[ Wednesday, February 18, 2004 13:41: Message edited by: Your Fellow Procrastinator ]

--------------------
Wisdom grows from trying to find structure in our experience - looking backwards in time - while living goes forward.
Theories are expectations that help us live forward - like possible ways to put the mosaic together. If they are worth the effort to remember, they should predict something and in case the prediction does not work out with time they should autodestruct.
And then there is something that we cannot test - something we have inherited in form of customs, attitudes, culture and the spirit of stories told and retold - that is like our individual SQUARE ONE.
This runs deeper than we can know.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #26
h3y funny u just r3viv3d a d3ad t0pic c00l n0w di3 plz k

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #27
Sorry

[ Wednesday, February 18, 2004 13:19: Message edited by: Your Fellow Procrastinator ]

--------------------
Wisdom grows from trying to find structure in our experience - looking backwards in time - while living goes forward.
Theories are expectations that help us live forward - like possible ways to put the mosaic together. If they are worth the effort to remember, they should predict something and in case the prediction does not work out with time they should autodestruct.
And then there is something that we cannot test - something we have inherited in form of customs, attitudes, culture and the spirit of stories told and retold - that is like our individual SQUARE ONE.
This runs deeper than we can know.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #28
Don't worry about it - nobody minds if you revive a topic if you have something thoughtful and intelligent to add.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #29
The paradox is that by the time you decide on what to take the prediction has already been made, so your decision can't possibly affect what's in the boxes; therefore, since the boxes already have in them whatever's in them, you may as well take both.

Pages