New RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New RP
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #25
I don't recommend SF RPGs. Except for the Spiderprise, which worked because it was only one level above unadulterated stupidity (I'm talking about the first one. The recent one died a horrible, if swift, death.), there isn't enough freedom-unless it's just an RP stuck on a planet with high-tech stuff instead of magic. Otherwise, once people get on a space-ship they become confined, and action breaks down as only a few people have any ability to mould events without being accused of god-gaming. Especially, it's almost impossible to have a decent-sized subplot on board a spaceship.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #26
SF worlds, like Fantasy worlds, need to be developed in detail before any game can take place. My theory is that the better developed the world is, the better the RP in that world will be.

Some RPs, for example Sands of Time (I think that one broke down though), worked quite well for a long time. SoT was set in the Exile world, quite developed through the Spidweb games.

Baltazar the Mad worked in spite of being set in no specific world, because the setting was such a small one, with only a tiny island set in the middle of nowhere. People are allowed to bring what they want: Nazgul brings in a whole fallen Empire with Darubia, I bring in magic systems from another world, some others bring magical items from other games. Siris is too small to need good development.

But to have a good RP in a large, well-defined setting, the setting needs a lot of preparation.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.

Pages