MMMMM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MMMMM
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #175
No, the comprehension is easy too. Basically, it means that the little piece of paper in my hand contains enough energy to make a huge explosion when merged with anitmatter. But I doesn't say a thing about antimatter.

Anyway, the equation also says that matter is energy.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #176
Yes, energy and mass are the same thing, but that is conceptually difficult and not really applicable to the everyday world.

—Alorael, who certainly thinks everyoen would be better off knowing about electroweak force instead of E=mc^2. That's a definite everyday (and every second) event.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #177
From the 19th to the mid-20th century, chlorodyne was one of the most popular patent medicines (although "patent" is something of a misnomer, as its formula was widely known and copied). Its active ingredients varied from preparation to preparation, but typically included chloroform, morphine, alcohol, cannabis and just a dash of cyanide. Further explanation of its effects seems redundant.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #178
This was used for a century? Near-instant death seems to me like a side-effect that wouldn't go unnoticed for long...

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #179
It didn't have very much cyanide in it. You were actually more likely to die from the morphine in it than from the cyanide. :P

[ Thursday, September 15, 2005 05:01: Message edited by: Chlorodyne ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #180
Oh. A "dash" is a vague amount. :P But I gather that it was still a rather unhealthy mixture.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #181
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/chlorodyne.gif)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #182
I'll quickly hail back to the E=mc^2 thing. Knowing the variables probably would help. But having a mind that is able to comprehend any kind of physics apart from basic elementary stuff would help more.

Chlorodyne sounds kinda like death-in-a-bottle. I'm sure consuming all those things at once caused the deaths, instead of just one ingrediant taking all the credit.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #183
Eh, I'm sure that is was so popular because it did its job quickly and efficiently. They should have used it for another one of those luxury anesthetics. ;)

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #184
There's a big difference between anesthesizing and euthanizing someone. :P

quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

I'll quickly hail back to the E=mc^2 thing. Knowing the variables probably would help. But having a mind that is able to comprehend any kind of physics apart from basic elementary stuff would help more.

Chlorodyne sounds kinda like death-in-a-bottle. I'm sure consuming all those things at once caused the deaths, instead of just one ingrediant taking all the credit.

E is energy, m is the mass of the matter, and c is the speed of light. Completely converting any matter into energy produces an amount of energy equal to the mass times the speed of light squared.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #185
Today's name, Calomel, is a chloride salt of mercury. In past centuries it was commonly used as a purgative (a powerful laxative), for a broad and mostly spurious range of medical indications. As if that wasn't bad enough, long-term treatment could lead to chronic mercury poisoning, damaging the nervous system and many other organs.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #186
*dons pedant hat*

E = mc^2 is not about translating matter into energy, but mass into energy. Energy, like mass, is a property. It is not, like matter, a kind of stuff. You have energy not in the way that you have blood, but in the way you have height. All the Star-Trekky stuff about 'things made of pure energy' makes as much sense as 'things made of pure height'.

*removes pedant hat*

Whatever.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #187
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

'things made of pure height'.
I'm going to have to find a good occasion to steal that analogy. :P

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #188
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/calomel.gif)

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #189
As a little side question: Light has no mass, right? If so, how can it then have any energy?

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #190
quote:
Originally written by Frozen Feet:

As a little side question: Light has no mass, right? If so, how can it then have any energy?
I have it on good authority that light is a wave. Why that gives it more energy (or even ANY energy) is beyond my comprehension.

And AA, another corker. Unfortunately, I also spilled hot coffee on myself, so... ouch.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #191
To make matters worse, it has momentum.

I like to think of it this way: E=mc^2 is just a special case of E^2=m^2 * c^4 + p^2 * c^2, where E is energy, m is mass, c is the speed of light, and p is momentum. This means that energy takes two forms: mass and momentum (where relativistic momentum is conceptually a lot like classical velocity). Light has a speed, so it has a velocity, so it has — don't think too hard about it — a momentum.

Light has no rest mass, though. An electron just lying around has energy packed into its structure, into the fact that it is matter, despite not being in motion. Photons don't.

EDIT: And light is a wave. And also a particle. It's a particle when you're looking at it and a wave when you're not. If this sounds entirely silly, well, it probably is, but it's true.

[ Friday, September 16, 2005 07:05: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #192
Ah, so there's the part I've been looking for. Momentum. I have to write this down.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #193
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

EDIT: And light is a wave. And also a particle. It's a particle when you're looking at it and a wave when you're not. If this sounds entirely silly, well, it probably is, but it's true.
Ah, quantum mechanics brings everything into the light so very fast. :P

I never knew that about momentum though. So even if you're massless, you can gain energy by traveling. Hmm, I s'pose that makes sense.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #194
*bows down before the awesomeness that is Archmage Alex*

--------------------
Ignorwhat?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #195
Today's name, Blistering, is another of those wonderful Victorian-era treatments based on the premise that everyone would be in perfect health if only it weren't for all those annoying bodily fluids. Blisters were raised on a patient's skin using either hot compresses or chemical irritants. Since this was in a time before antibiotics, infections were a common cause of serious complications in this procedure.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #196
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/blistering.gif)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #197
And the genius that is Alex stuns us all yet again...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #198
quote:
Originally written by Blistering:

Today's name, Blistering, is another of those wonderful Victorian-era treatments based on the premise that everyone would be in perfect health if only it weren't for all those annoying bodily fluids. Blisters were raised on a patient's skin using either hot compresses or chemical irritants. Since this was in a time before antibiotics, infections were a common cause of serious complications in this procedure.
Wow. I bet people paid good money for a few blisters. :P You'd think they'd figure out in due time if something didn't work.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #199
you'd think they'd learn how to blister themselves.

--------------------
Ignorwhat?

Pages