MMMMM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MMMMM
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #225
quote:
Originally written by WST ben:

And still 10 more to go.

Anyway, I'd rather take a single wallop with a huge mallot than being beat multiple times. Less, pain, you know, before anyway.

I meant if I had to. Put down those mallets! :P

I don't think a single wallop would work, from my personal experiences of hammers and heads.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #226
I don't know that any amount of walloping would work on Ben's head. :P

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 04:42: Message edited by: Drew ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #227
Today's name, Deep Sleep Therapy, was an experimental treatment for depression and other mental illnesses, administered mainly at Chelmsford Psychiatric Hospital in Sydney, Australia, in the 1960s and 1970s. Patients were rendered comatose with high doses of sedatives, sometimes for weeks at a time. Often, during this time, electroconvulsive therapy was also administered to the patient without their knowledge or consent. Several patients died; many others suffered permanent neurological disabilities.

The disaster that Chelmsford's treatment program had degenerated into was exposed by a current affairs program in 1980. A parliamentary investigation ensued, along with massive lawsuits and criminal charges against several of the doctors involved.

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 04:40: Message edited by: Deep Sleep Therapy ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #228
Interestingly, there was an article in the NYT yesterday that suggested the possibility of a link between sleep apnia and some of the symptoms of what would otherwise be diagnosed as clinical depression. It just goes to show: sleep is very importance to happiness.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #229
Yes, there are plenty of people who come to their doctors complaining of being tired all the time and not having the energy to do anything. And without further information, that set of symptoms isn't really adequate to form a definitive diagnosis of anything. That, however, is not an excuse to put tired people in comas.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #230
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/deepsleeptherapy.gif)

I am leaving on a cruise today, so it is quite likely this is the last post I will make until next thursday. I'll have to catch up on the drawings then. Bon Voyage!

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #231
Bye for now. And thank you for teaching us all that convulsions are inherently funny.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #232
Reminds me of one of those James Harriot vetrinary stories. The vet tries to put an animal down, but ends up slightly underdosing the dog. The dog sleeps for a week, and wakes up cured. Apparently this method has more chance of working say then the electric/acid belts. Still not something I would want done on me though.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #233
Ooh, I've read one of James Herriot's books (All Creatures Great and Small, unless my recollection fails me). Don't remember that anecdote, though.

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 06:16: Message edited by: Deep Sleep Therapy ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #234
Oddly enough, you may think that electroshock therapy, also called electroconvulsive therapy or ECT, belongs on Thuryl's moniker list. Not so, however. It is still very much in use for certain disorders inlcuding depression, and the results are quite positive. Nobody knows why, exactly, but there are definite gains and, barring the inevitable unverified reports of disaster, only minor and often temporary negative side effects.

On the bright side, modern anesthesia, electrical equipment, and paralytics have rendered ECT an outpatient procedure that takes only minutes and causes neither psychological trauma nor physical damage.

—Alorael, who compares ECT to mallet therapy with results. Sure, it may seem like a bad idea to zap brains, but sometimes a kickstart seems to be needed.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #235
Not to mention its used for heart failure, random fun/practical jokes (depression therapy? =P), and for execution. Electroshock is much like most things... out of moderation, it can kill, and in moderation can help. Some how I doubt that a constant voltage difference across your skin (if how I visualize those belts is correct) would have much by way of help or harm, except perhaps minor annoyance.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #236
I remember watching a video in school about pregnant women in the past using minor electrical shocks to relieve pain.

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 07:57: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #237
quote:
Originally written by AxB:

Not to mention its used for heart failure,
As far as I know this is its main purpose. Its not only used with hart failures though. Its also used to get the hart back in its correct beating rythme when a person has palpitations.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #238
I have not heard of these deer failures of which you speak, good sir. >_>
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #239
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

I have not heard of these deer failures of which you speak, good sir. >_>
hart. Stupid. heart is what I mean. I actually didn't a hart was a male deer. Know it now then.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #240
A defibrillator delivers an electric shock to the heart. ECT involves delivering voltage to the brain. The two are not the same. One is jolting a muscle into proper activity, and the other is the deliberate creation of a grand mal seizure.

—Alorael, who happens to find the term "grand mal seizure" very funny. Does it need to be multilingual? Can it be called a "big, bad seizure" instead?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #242
For shame Alo, using double posts to boost your count... :rolleyes:

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #243
Anybody else remember hearing about this loopster who decided that some portion of your brain, residing behind the middle of your forehead, served no purpose other than making you feel bad? IIRC, he advocated self-administered portion-otomy, with a power drill. II further RC, some folks took him up on it. This would have been twenty to thirty years ago, I'm afraid.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #244
In true Spidweb fashion, I felt compelled to make at least one more post after I had already claimed to have left.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/cruisin.gif)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #245
...and in the next panel a certain guy gets thrown over the side...

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #246
quote:
Written by Alorael
A defibrillator delivers an electric shock to the heart. ECT involves delivering voltage to the brain. The two are not the same. One is jolting a muscle into proper activity, and the other is the deliberate creation of a grand mal seizure.
I would call them equivalent processes, just one being for the brain, and the other for the heart. I don't suggest trying to do emergency ECM with a defib unit though. AT best, it would do nothing, at worst, it would kill you.
On another note, very nice use of hart, it made me chuckle. I suppose, deer failures could be fixed with electic shock therapy. Perhaps an electric fence to keep them out of the garden.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #247
Obviously ECT is not widely considered to be the most humane or free of side effects method, but it has been proven to have some success. The electric chair and its characteristic convulsions might make this therapy seem much more dangerous than it is. Of course, no one with heart problems and depression should seek this therapy.

I know that in the past ECT had to be done to the extent of causing involuntary muscle spasms, but I do not know whether that is still thought to be necessary today. ECT, like any other non-lethal electrical or physical shock, does not consistently remove long term memories, but it does interrupt short term memory. Brain cells do die, but being shocked into happiness is certainly an fascinating at the very least.

I think you already mentioned the radioactive miracle tonic, but have you discussed the medical procedure of divination with a bell for removing metal objects?

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #248
Garrison, you will notice that my name isn't ECT. I'm aware that ECT is sometimes useful as a treatment of last resort for depression. However, I think we can all agree that it shouldn't be performed on an unconscious and nonconsenting patient. :P

Divination with a bell? That's a new one. I'll have to look that one up.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #249
quote:
Originally written by AxB:

Not to mention its used for heart failure, random fun/practical jokes (depression therapy? =P), and for execution.
I gather you mean it is used to cure heart failure, not to cause it. :P

Is it still used for execution? Where - certainly not the US?

Edit: It is. Well, there are crazier things than the death penalty in the US. :rolleyes:

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 22:06: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #250
Wikipedia sez:

quote:
After Texas adopted lethal injection as a method of execution in 1982, the use of the electric chair reduced rapidly. As of 2004, the only places in the world still having the electric chair as an option are the U.S. states of Alabama, Florida, Nebraska, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. Except for Nebraska, where it remains the only method of execution, inmates in the other states must select it or lethal injection.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages