Avernum 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #200
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Originally written by 2disbetter:
Have you ever played the perfect game? Wow. You have achieved a fourth mechanically correct sentence. It only took you thirteen sentences to get that far.

The game that left nothing to be desired? This is a fragment, you sad, sorry, illiterate individual.
Just since everyone was being so picky, I'd like to point out that while "The game that left nothing to be desired?" is in fact a fragment, fragments are sometimes considered an acceptable method of providing emphasis. This is one of those times. ;) And 'this' should probably be 'that.'

Yes, I know my ability's with UBB Code suck.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
I don't really like to complain, but I don't think I earned that 1.32 karma rating. Or at least I have no idea why I got them. Help me and I'll love you forever. ;)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #201
Remove the beam in your eye before the mote in his. "Abilities" is spelled like this; it's almost never correct to use an apostrophe to pluralise. (The exception is when pluralising letters of the alphabet; "A's" is considered a Standard English plural form of the letter A, for example.)

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #202
Well, nitpicking his grammar was one way to let him know that I didn't take him seriously or consider his comments worth responding to. Virtually no one expects anyone to write in English as formal as the kind that I was presenting as proper. In conversational writing, ellipses are fine and fragments are reasonably acceptable, although I still think that particular fragment would have been better as part of the previous sentence.

To the best of my knowledge, neither "this" nor "that" is more proper in that context.

And I do applaud 2disbetter for taking my response so well.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #203
There's a difference between acceptable English and proper formal English. The latter is set in either stone or the hearts of academic panels in ivory towers (if there is a difference between stones and those hearts). The former is, more or less, writing in a way that communicates, does not egregiously break common rules of grammar, and fails to make people angry.

—Alorael, who supposes this means that informal English is whatever you say it is. That's probably true, but there's a difference between dangling your participles (in public, no less!) and committing international linguistic crimes. You know what they are.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #204
Yeah, and "ain't" ain't a word!

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #205
Ceci n'est pas français.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #206
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

Well, Kreshweed, "Assassination" in Exile/Avernum never really meant, like, assassination. It was always more like Critical Strike or something. Assassination implies a measure of stealth, in my mind, whereas Exile and Avernum had Assassination as a skill for frontline fighters using halberds.
You are right, of course. I realized the same thing back home, when I was reading about the adventures of Mikael el-Hakim. Exile assassination never really was assassination at all. So you do have a point about the picture being misleading.

Now I just have to figure out why my mind always wanders of on its own.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #207
quote:
Originally written by Kreshweed:

Look, the drawings are clichés. A quick look at the women's physique and clothing should remove all doubt. But they are clichés and proud of it! That's why I like them!

That makes them worse. Yay, cartoons! Avernum: Exile for kids! No, seriously...I understand a certain amount of cliché is expected in RPGs and in a great deal of fantasy in general; the genre has become VERY populated. My argument is that they negatively change the atmosphere of the games, injecting enough silliness to destroy any illusions of drama the moment I click on "Train Character." Imagine reading an addictive fantasy novel that incorporates a few elements of suspense, mystery, conspiracy, and even terror. Now imagine, scattered throughout the book, there are exaggerated, simplistic doodles that make a conscious attempt to be silly and clichéd. And worse yet, these cartoons are interspersed throughout the entire book, always silly, regardless of the mood of the surrounding text.

The result: Mood is broken. Suspension of disbelief ceases. You are thrown out of the story with a cartoony reminder that it's not real. Enjoyment is hampered. This is how I feel when I play Avernum. I still enjoy the game, but to a lesser extent than I enjoyed Exile, because Avernum keeps reminding me that none of these things are actually happening, and even the most frightening moments are still only as serious as a Saturday morning cartoon.

quote:

Doh, have you ever heard of humour? :P
Yes, I have. In many cases, I find it enjoyable. In fact, I would go far enough to say that it's a big part of my life. But in the case of Avernum, it destroys the mood, as well as the moods of BoA scenarios, which is very unfortunate for the designers, who must sit back and watch their efforts at mood be derailed by a guy with a pen and a hankering for comedy.

PS. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. I'm not trying to argue or fight with you, only trying to make sure my point of view is as clearly stated as possible. I'm sorry if I run anyone over in the process. ;)

[ Tuesday, December 07, 2004 21:43: Message edited by: Cavanoskus ]

--------------------
AIM/Yahoo IM: Cavanoskus

Scary artwork and Bad Poetry
The Wildlife Research Team
SnakeNetMetalRadio

"We, who are about to die, salute you."
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #208
That's why you should play Exile. Avernum is for the mob.

I don't disagree with you. I agree with you so completely, that it's unlikely such unison has ever existed in the history of men. That's what I've been saying all the time!

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #209
quote:
Originally written by Kreshweed:

That's why you should play Exile. Avernum is for the mob.

I don't disagree with you. I agree with you so completely, that it's unlikely such unison has ever existed in the history of men. That's what I've been saying all the time!

:D I do play Exile. I only play Avernum when I feel lighthearted enough to not mind the silliness.

--------------------
AIM/Yahoo IM: Cavanoskus

Scary artwork and Bad Poetry
The Wildlife Research Team
SnakeNetMetalRadio

"We, who are about to die, salute you."
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #210
i think the invt. scrn pics are very nice bc they add some silliness. Every time i get a new skill, i look at the little drawings but some of the in game art is bad, and is prett close to suxdom. i swear it took me about 10 mins to figure out the slith pic.

Av 3 also looks like a pastel cardboard paste on/ pin up. But killing stuff is still fun :>

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Apprentice
Member # 5246
Profile #211
Grammar in a forum which has in many cases displayed a lack of intelligence isn't so vital. Even though I was so nitpickingly ripped apart everyone understood exactly what I was trying to say.

I apologized for the manner in which I tried to convey my opinion; not my grammar.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #212
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Remove the beam in your eye before the mote in his. "Abilities" is spelled like this; it's almost never correct to use an apostrophe to pluralise. (The exception is when pluralising letters of the alphabet; "A's" is considered a Standard English plural form of the letter A, for example.)
Oops. :eek:
But since we're on a spree, I believe it should be "Remove the beam from your eye before removing the mote from his." :P

And "ain't" is in fact a proper contraction of "am not," the problem is its typical use in place of "is not."

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
I don't really like to complain, but I don't think I earned that 1.32 karma rating. Or at least I have no idea why I got them. Help me and I'll love you forever. ;)
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #213
quote:
Originally written by Stupid NEwbie Man:

But since we're on a spree, I believe it should be "Remove the beam from your eye before removing the mote from his." :P
Were you dropped as a child or something? That's the most meaninglessly pedantic correction I've ever seen -- and probably not even correct.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #214
It's actually identical, grammatically. The only issue would be whether the first sentence was clear, which it was. And "ain't" is a colloquial contraction of "am not," and it is not even remotely acceptable in formal English.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #215
I'm just too literal and nitpicky for my own good, is all.
"Ain't" is present in the Webster's Collegiate dictionary I have from the 1980s. It may not be accepted in formal English, but who uses formal language on the boards?

Anyways, since you guys apparently have no sense of intellectual dumb humor, I'll be on my way. :P

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #216
Who said ain't?

I can't find where the quote is? How did it come up?

quote:
Grammar in a forum which has in many cases displayed a lack of intelligence isn't so vital.
I would argue that the people(or at least quite a few) on this forum are quite smart in most senses, but lacking to some degree in "wisdom"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #217
I think Dres just made up the "ain't" business. It had nothing to do with anything.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #218
quote:
ain't

\Ain't\ A contraction for are not and am not; also used for is not. [Colloq. or illiterate speech]. See An't.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #219
ain't fell out of use when everyone just said "I'm not." i think some ppl thought it was a contract. for "are not."

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #220
quote:
Originally written by [b:
Cavanoskus[/b]]
:D I do play Exile. I only play Avernum when I feel lighthearted enough to not mind the silliness.
I just jumped on the exile bandwagon again! I've got a different goal this time: get as many kills and damage points as i can :D I'm trying to reach 1,000,000
:)

[ Thursday, December 09, 2004 13:59: Message edited by: -08 ]

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #221
Most dictionary entrys for "ain't" that I've seen contain a 'definition' and then are followed by a short blurb on the improperness of its use.

I ain't never used "ain't" in none'o my posts. I ain't never plan to neither.

Oops. :o

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #222
For reference- A beam is something of indeterminable diameter, whereas a mote is a speck. The quote you're looking for is in the Gospel of Luke (paraphrased as such):

"Why do you observe the splinter in your brother’s eye and never notice the great log in your own?"

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #223
It ain't aint. Its aren't or haint.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #224
i luv spidweb games therefore i think that ave4 will be good too

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart

Pages