How much encumbering armor do you use?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How much encumbering armor do you use?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #0
I just wonder, does anybody keep plate mails and use them? What about breastplates? Or large shields? Etc.

I'm considering removing at least the plates from my scenario, because I'm making room for new items. I never use plates myself and rarely any armor combination that gives more than 2 encumbrance.

So, how encumbering armor do you use and/or what do you think about this?

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 06:05: Message edited by: Milu ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #1
Do it. It's your scenario and you have that more than just that reason to do it. (Say, technology hasn't advanced to plate-mail?)

I think that's a great idea.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Just as a data point, I've always kept encumbrance to 1 for mages and 2 for fighters as well. Sometimes I'll use a piece of equipment that takes me up to 3 encumbrance, but only if it's really good.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #3
I don't know if you're asking about what you'd put into a scenrio you're writing, if this would be for a special, (edited), party, or if you're asking how much we would have each type party member use as it becomes available in a scenario.
Also, I think it depends greatly on the playing style of the individual; Fighting, Treasure Hunting, etc.
I prefer to Treasure Hunt with a party consisting of 2 Fighters, 2 Priests and 2 Mages. The second Fighter usually has 3, or 4 points of Traps & Locks and both Fighters are ambidextrious and get assassination equally with strength and weapon skill. Defense is minimal until the offensive skills are well established.
I rarely "start" a battle. Occasionally, the monster you see may have some importance and often doesn't fight at all.
(I think there should be more of this in scenarios, hint, hint.)
Unless the scenario requires it, I never use Archery, Alchemy, nor any weapons other than edged. This is based upon the damage done by each type weapon. I want to use the basic skills of Fight and Cast Spells. I don't feel that any of the "extras" are nearly as effective as those two basic skills and, certainly, weapons in the hands of Spell Casters are not.
(*Much more to be said on any of this at another time.)
Sorry to ramble on, but as to the armor:
I keep the two fighters at Breastplates, not full Plate. The encumberance isn't worth the couple of points more protection. If I can have Magic, or Mithral armor, I'll put chain on the Priests and Mages, otherwise it's the best available:
Fighters with Breastplate,
Priests with Chain Mail & Bucklers,
Mages with Studded & Bucklers.
This will probably contradict with what many others may say, but, as above, we all have our own styles of play. I'd like to get into a discussion some time about style of play and why the selection I described, but I think I've used up far too much of this subject already.
Thanx,
me
Posts: 257 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #4
If you can pick up some of those rare juicy 0-encumberance armor, that's the thing. A good breastplate is good for someone usually in the middle of melee, but not for everyone. A few blesses and hastes go a long way too.

I once had a Magic Breastplate as treasure off of a Slith. ( :eek: ). Sold it for 2000 gold. :P

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 15:53: Message edited by: WST ben ]

--------------------
-ben4808
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #5
So you can play BoE now, Ben?

I don't use armour at all unless it comes with some sort of magical bonus. It's easier to just avoid getting hit.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #6
Since I play with a group of 6 mage/priests, I avoid anything that gives more than 1 encumbrance like the plague and usually only use 0-encumbrance stuff unless the item is so good that it's worth taking my only encumbrance "slot".
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #7
(Ahbleza wrote: )

quote:
I don't know if you're asking about what you'd put into a scenrio you're writing, if this would be for a special, (edited), party, or if you're asking how much we would have each type party member use as it becomes available in a scenario.
The last one is closest to what I was thinking... It might be useful information when I make custom items.

But I also want to find out if there's any player here who's emotionally attached to plate mails and if so, why... :)

Anyway, it seems that so far, no one likes to have even 3 encumbrance often. It's a bit like I expected. Interesting.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

So you can play BoE now, Ben?
Where exactly did you infer that from? 0-encumberance armor?

--------------------
-ben4808
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Blesses and hastes. Magic breastplates. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #10
Milu:
Not to belabor the subject, but.....
Assuming we're talking about armor as it becomes available during a Scenario, Magic & Mithral are best included in a high level Scenario and rarely found in low to mid level ones. Iron, or Steel, seem to be more than adequate for the "top of the line" armor in the majority of the "normal" level scenarios.
The Fighters can bear the weight of any armor, but the Plate always seems excessive and pointless to me. You gain two points of protection and loose the ability to move around well.
As I've stated before, I don't go looking for Battles, but prefer to search areas for all I can find.
At a Level 1, beginner, start, I tend to use Forcefield on each side of the Party and Wall of Force to "funnel" the monsters into the two Fighters. Then, as everyone seems to do, I Bless and Haste the two Fighters. Or, if the location warrents it, I'll place the two Fighters on the two sides of a Door or Passage, with the Spell Casters safely to the sides, beyond them. That is my "normal" tactic for quite a while until the Spell casters attain more powerful spells. And, it shows that only the two Fighters need the weapons and armor.
I very rarely equip Spell Casters. As I said in the previous post, giving Spell Casters any form of weapon seems really pointless to me. To have any effect at all, you must waste skill points on strength, rather than Intelligence, Spell Points and Mage/Priest Levels.
Also, I tend to "get" everyting I can, then "sell" it to build up a supply of money to buy "training", or better weapons and armor for the Fighters.
At the higher Levels, the Fighters have done their duty are now no more than a "shield" to protect the Spell Casters, once they have the ability to cast more powerful spells.
Lastly, and being honest, that is how I'd treat, or play a Scenario "straight", or "true". Since it takes a long time to attain the first few levels and it is always fight, fight, fight, I often start a Scenario with a Level 3 Party with 500 gold and Bronze weapons & armor on the Fighters. I admit that this is a "cheat", but after so many Scenarios, it becomes very tedious playing those first few levels over and over and over and over. Also, although some Scenarios spend the time in those first few Levels, giving the Party information and clues as to what they will need to do, a great many Scenarios do not. Not all Scenarios are "well written" in that they are no more than repetitive Battles without giving the Player a decent, "interesting" story.
IMNSHO, that's what sets the really good Scenarios apart from the others.
The world of Exile is based on the way of the Sword, but a story is still what should be the purpose of the Scenario. I think there are more than enough Scenarios to sharpen one's abilities at Battle. What I find most enjoyable is a "playable" story that accomplishes something, not just, "go kill something and I'll reward you". I'd like to think the "Dark Ages" were long past. Maybe that's why I don't listen to, or read, the news.
;)
me

[ Monday, October 10, 2005 05:03: Message edited by: Ahbleza ]
Posts: 257 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00