Scenario recommendations?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Scenario recommendations?
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #0
Could somebody recommend me a few good scenarios that I will like. I generally play RPGs for their plot, but I am a bit bored right now, so some fast-paced action would be good too. I don't like puzzles, although somewhat difficult combat is ok. Finally, I don't have either time or patience for an epic scenario.

So do you have any suggestions?

PS More examples of my tastes: I liked Election and Alcritas' scenarios, abandoned At the Gallows several times because it was too long and puzzles were too frustrating. Currently I've abandoned Geneforge 3 from boredom.

[ Thursday, July 21, 2005 20:54: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Have you played Emulations? Awesome scenario, and barring one (at least for me) buzz-killing puzzle in the middle, it's otherwise fast-paced and action-filled.

EDIT: The other option, of course, is to read CSR.

[ Thursday, July 21, 2005 21:05: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #2
Emulations is a good choice, for the first half at least. After that it becomes fairly puzzle-intensive, which may not work for you.

I recommend Revenge and Areni if you haven't played them yet, but then, I would. :) Also, Roots.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #3
Thanks for your recommendations.

I guess I'll start with Emulations and will try other suggestions later. I've downloaded Emulations and have a small question about it: The instructions say to use a certain character, however they don't say anything about his traits. Can I give him "Magically Apt", or would that cause me too much disadvantage from getting less experience? (I've never played scenarios indended for specific 1-PC parties before, unless you count Elections.)

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #4
If no traits are specifically mentioned, I'd say don't go with any. It won't make much difference, anyway, because before long - Oh, I'd better keep my mouth shut. ;)

Trouble with reading CSR is so many people post gigantic spoilers.

EDIT: Good to see you're getting back into BoE, BTW.

[ Thursday, July 21, 2005 22:19: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #5
Thanks. :)

About getting back into BoE, would you recommend BoE or BoA for scenario design? (I am professional programmer, which means that on one hand I am not afraid of complicated scripts, but on the other hand I don't want to do in the evenings the same stuff I do at work whole day.)

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
BoA has a lot more options and a lot fewer ridiculously low arbitrary limits. But choose whichever engine you like better — if you prefer playing BoE, design for BoE. If you prefer playing BoA, design for BoA.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #7
Depends on a few things. If I make a new scenario it'll be BoE, because that's what I prefer to play. IIRC, you like the Avernum engine better, so that won't be a factor for you.

Aside from that, BoE is probably quicker and easier, if you just want to tell a story. If you want to do anything particularly special or technical, BoA will probably save you a lot of frustrating wonky workarounds.

And there's always the consideration that at this point a new BoA scenario will get played by more people, and thus get you more adulation. :)

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
Roots is definitely a good choice too, as is Chains. Both have the fast-paced action you're looking for.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #9
Try Shadow of a Stranger and Forsaken. Both are great. Also, give Gallows another go, it's one of the best scenarios there is and most people will be able to answer any questions you have on it.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #10
Spears is good, though I'm not sure about the puzzle content.

I think more puzzles make a better scenario, though.

--------------------
-ben4808
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #11
Spears is not as big as AtG, but it's still huge. And it also has a lot of puzzles. Just so you know.

Forsaken And SotS are indeed very good, though maybe not what you're looking for right now. I'd also throw in the one that comes between them, Brotherhood of the Hand.

Chains has a certain amount of similarity to Election.

[ Friday, July 22, 2005 17:45: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #12
I knew there was another one in that series, I just couldn't remember it for the life of me! Thanks Ash

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #13
Thanks to everybody for your suggestions. I've just finished Emulations and it was perfect for the kind of scenarios I currently like.

Now I'll try the next things on suggestions list.

PS About puzzles in scenarios, they are good if they feel natural and can be solved quickly. However, if I have to waste hours trying possible combinations and/or go online looking for solutions, it breaks the atmosphere of the scenario.

[ Tuesday, July 26, 2005 20:56: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
If you loved Emulations, go for Roots, Chains, or Quintessence.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #15
Emulations and Quint have very little in common. But definitely play Roots.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
Says you, Mister Negative.

--------------------
====
====
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #17
Eh? I made no comments about the relative quality of Quint, I just pointed out that it's quite different in style to Emulations. And it is. Quint has a lot more secret passage searching, outdoor exploring, combat, etc.

--------------------
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

What happens if you put Schrodinger's cat into Pandora's box?
Uh, hope is uncertain until you look for it?

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00