IDEA: The Pearl Contest

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: IDEA: The Pearl Contest
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #0
Concept: We give the designers a single concept or idea that they must incorporate into their scenario. They can create the rest around it, much like a pearl.

E.g. A death is blamed on you.

Now, depending on context, this allows for a great variety of adventures. Also, we get to see how different designers approach the same premise. In the above example, we do not specify who or what died, why, whether the player is in fact guilty, or even if anything actually died. One designer could make a scenario where a man disappears, and the player is accused of murdering him. You have to escape the authorities and find the man to prove your innocence. Another could make a scenario where you lead an expedition into unexplored territory with a number of companions. But when one of them dies the team begins to fracture apart as some of them blame you for the accident. As long as it's an integral part of the plot, anything goes.

This contest is to be open to both BoA and BoE scenarios.

Judging will be done by discussion. Scenarios will be evaluated according to their quality, and to a lesser extent, how original the approach to the basic premise is.

Whatcha all think?

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
It doesn't sound like a bad idea, considering you get people willing to participate. Of course, you'd have to give the designers more time than DFtS also.

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 5599
Profile Homepage #2
Even though I probably shouldn't say anything, seeing as I won't enter, I'd just like to condone this idea. It's awesome. There could be two pearls maybe? The idea being that designers could pick one.

[ Thursday, March 17, 2005 06:55: Message edited by: Where is my mind ]

--------------------
Rosy again
Polaris - Fun in the City
My BoE Dialogue Pix - Talking to the Wall
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #3
Assuming I find the time/will to join this contest (yes, I'm still alive), I get dibs on the idea that the player did indeed murder/kill someone, if the murder subject just happens to be the one chosen.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #4
We'll be waiting till after the big contest, and the actual idea will almost certainly be something else.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #5
I think this is an awesome idea. I think it might spark some new interests for BoE fans and designers. Is there going to be an actual contest? Or is it just in the idea stages now?

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #6
Enough interest has been expressed to go ahead with the contest. It'll start after the deadline for the big contests have passed.

--------------------