Alexandra now includes Spiderweb Reviews!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Alexandra now includes Spiderweb Reviews!
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #0
Once again, djurx comes through! Alex is now a 1-stop shop!

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Now that the SW ratings are searchable (and viewable alongside CSR and Alex ratings), I'm starting to understand why the community laughs at the SW ratings. Aftershocks (evidently a solid scenario but not a great classic) is rated 4.5. An Apology -- one of the best BoE scenarios of all time -- is rated 4.1. A sampling of scenarios rated higher than An Apology on the SW tables:

Avalon (4.2 by SW, 4.88 by CSR)
Compositus (4.3 by SW, 3.34 by CSR)
Gray Moon: the Hand of Darkness (4.4 by SW, 4.93 by CSR)
The Wreck of the Slug (4.4 by SW, 6.52 by CSR)

And of course, the ever-classic The Realm of the Dragon Knights ties An Apology at 4.1 (where CSR puts it at 4.17).

EDIT: To anyone who doesn't know -- lurkers? newbies? -- the reason this is laughable is that SW's ratings are out of 5, but CSR's are out of 10. An Apology has a 9.5 right now at CSR.

[ Thursday, August 12, 2004 12:26: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #2
I think it'd be interesting to normalize Spiderweb scores (by doubling them) and compare them to Alexandria and Lyceum scores. What the deviation is, etc.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
E-mail me the document that you sent to Brett that had all of the ratings on it, and I'll toss it into a spreadsheet and see what happens. I'm curious, too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #4
Since you're busy archiving, I went ahead and did a few comparisons.

IMAGE(http://djur.desperance.net/img/comparison.gif)

Speaks for itself. This is only comparing the surprisingly small intersection of scenarios reviewed at both SW and CSR.

[ Thursday, August 12, 2004 15:33: Message edited by: Andrea ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
Something I find interesting--Bandit Busywork is rated 4.0 at Spiderweb. It's rated 3.something at CSR, compared to Spiderweb's 8 if a comparable scale is used. Since Bandit Busywork was created by Jeff, I wonder if he just hafhazardly gave it a 4 so he could put it on the solid adventures table. Either that or a bunch of newbies rated it on the basis that it was the only non-default scenario they've ever played. :P

--------------------
-ben4808
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #6
Following are the ten scenarios most differently rated at SW and CSR. All are rated more highly at SW than CSR.

Grinch, The (-6.61)
Curse of Rentolhm, The
Compositus
Labyrinth
Mairwen's Crystal
Bandit Busywork
Green Meadows
Dragon's Eye
Realm of the Dragon Knights, The
Gray Moon: The Hand of Darkness (-3.87)

--------------------
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #7
What exactly is the average for the Grinch on the SW tables?

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
A whopping 3.9. Only one tenth of a point more than the envied Bandit Busywork. :P Congrats, Vince!

--------------------
-ben4808
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #9
I could double the SW scores when they're shown, maybe like 4.4(8.8) for example, or something like that. What would make the most sense to someone viewing it? And should it even be done?

I could also create an average score based on the three review #s. Is it worth it?

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #10
Not really, Brett.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #11
I graphed the average, and the SW scores deviate enough that the curve looks pretty ugly compared to CSR. Not worth it.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
You know, if you graph one of them so it's a smooth curve, of course the other one's going to look jaggy by comparison. You're presupposing that CSR always gets it right. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
Right. Alternately, you should try graphing all the Spiderweb scores in order of highest to lowest. Then the CSR line would be the jagged one (even more so, I'd say, than the SW line on the previous graph). Or even better, make a :eek: huge :eek: bar graph with two bars for every scenario, as then it should show the comparasin more accurate. But I'm still going by CSR scores. ;)

--------------------
-ben4808