The optimum party HP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The optimum party HP
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #0
I've seen guides and FAQs and the like, and each seem to disagree on how much HP to give a starter party and how much of the other stats.

Mostly, I'm concered about health. Is it better to give an average party member as low as 6-10 HP, or would it benefit them more to start with 30-40 HP. Or in between. What are your opinions?

--------------------
-ben4808
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
All of my parties start with 6 HP on every character.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #2
That's because you're Imban. :)

I usually have my fighters start w/about 18 hp, more if I have a skill point that isn't going to be used anyplace else (like throwing stuff.)

My mages usually have around 10-12, sometimes even 14 if I'm feeling wimpy.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #3
You'd think that if you're going to use the party in a scenario where you encounter poison, disease, etc. early in the game, you'd want to start your party with a spare batch of HP. Either that or just not letting the monsters hit you. :)

--------------------
-ben4808
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #4
Basically, it depends how good a player you are. If you're very experienced, HP is a waste of skill points - you can get that from going up levels. If you're a beginner, it'll be tough for you to survive early on without a few health points up your sleeve.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
I never spend skill points on health. If dying is a problem for you, spend the skill points you save on HP on Luck instead; you won't regret it. In fact, starting all your characters with 5 points or so of Luck isn't such a bad idea; your party may feel underpowered at first, but it hardly matters when they're virtually invincible.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #6
That's an idea. But just how invincible is invincible with 5 points of luck? I think I'd rather use the :eek: 25 skill point a PC! :eek: on seemingly more important skills such as strengh and weapon skills. (I use an all-fighter party)

But I guess you guys are right, I should use a lower-healthed party.

--------------------
-ben4808
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
With 5 luck, attacks that would otherwise kill you will fail more than half the time; probably close to 70%, I'd guess, and maybe even more. Get 10 luck and the chance starts looking more like 90%.