Thoughts of mine

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Thoughts of mine
Apprentice
Member # 5461
Profile #0
I know many Spiderweb players miss the good old Exile games, and I too miss them. There have been lots of requests here from Jeff to make a new Exile game, and we all agree that any chances are non-existent.

So I have been thinking; I'm sure some people in the Spiderweb boards know how to program, and some can make graphics and sounds. Why can't we make a game of a type that we like? Is it impossible for a small team to make a game like Exile? I personally think it's doable.
So, if there is anyone here that knows how to program, make sounds, a good plot maker, or graphics artist, please contact me at supermegamad at gmail.com.
I myself can make Exile style graphics, and if we manage to gather some talented people here, we can actually make something good, one that we will all enjoy, and if it workes good, maybe Jeff will consider again the Exile series.

Hoping to hear from you,

Megamad
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
BoE.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
Pygmalion.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Apprentice
Member # 5461
Profile #3
BoE? that's not the same at all, Boe still has many weaknesses that cannot be fixed, problems with the game mechanics, and the fact that you are still limited to what Boe has to offer.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #4
There are some BoE scenarios whose size and quality match those of Exile series games. Stareye's At The Gallows has been commonly called "Exile 4" for many years.

As for limitations and problems of BoE, they are the same as the problems of original Exiles and designers have found plenty of ways to get around them. If you, as a player, weren't disappointed by original Exiles, you will not be disappointed by scenarios by top designers.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by megamad:

Maybe Jeff will consider again the Exile series.
We'd all be glad if there were more good Exile-style games, which is why BoE is so popular and why there are even alternatives in the works. But we're the minority of Jeff's customers. Avernum and Geneforge sell, so Avernum and Geneforge are what he's going to make.

—Alorael, who thinks maybe this would change if you could create and market an Exile clone that outsold Jeff's games.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #7
quote:
and the fact that you are still limited to what Boe has to offer.
Some people just cannot be satisfied I guess... :P

But seriously, play the scenarios of BoE, especially the solid adventures. Not all are great, but there is so much to choose from, you can be entertained for quite a while.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
With BoE, Jeff has provided you with as much Exile as you could ever want. Nowdays, new exciting games aren't 2D tile based with few animations.

Adding more features to Exile is basically what Jeff did with Avernum, and while making a custom game is very possible, it is a big project for a done idea.

At any rate, though, when is Pygmalion going to be complete?

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 5461
Profile #9
Seriously, I don't have any intention to criticise the top developers and their scenarios, but I have played some of them. I don't mean to say they were bad, but it was not the same feeling like playing any of the Exile games (I have played At the Gallows as well).
And about Avernum, I didn't like anything about it (Well, except the better ranged weapons improvement, which were terrible in Exile).
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
quote:

I don't mean to say they were bad, but it was not the same feeling like playing any of the Exile games (I have played At the Gallows as well).
I have had this feeling, too, and I've been trying for the past two years to pin down exactly why. If anyone can articulate it, I'd be grateful.

Regardless, if you think that BoE scenarios don't feel like the Exile series enough, what makes you think that anyone in the community can design something that seems closer?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 5461
Profile #11
Each Spiderweb player takes something to his heart from the games, one takes this aspect to mind when he designs scenarios, and onother designer takes a different aspect of the games.
Thus, a crew of Spiderweb players can get much closer to the original atmosphere than a singel designer, regardless of how 'top' he is.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #12
This is the thing. If you want Exile 4, go ahead and make it on BoE. In the Spiderweb way so it feels like the other Exiles. I'm sure many people would love to play it.

--------------------
-ben4808
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:

I don't mean to say they were bad, but it was not the same feeling like playing any of the Exile games (I have played At the Gallows as well).
I have had this feeling, too, and I've been trying for the past two years to pin down exactly why.

Well, no matter how good a fanfic is, there's nothing like the canon. That's how I think of it.

--------------------
A C, an E-flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin walks up to them and says, "Hey! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says, "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:

I have had this feeling, too, and I've been trying for the past two years to pin down exactly why. If anyone can articulate it, I'd be grateful.

I think the reason is that every author has a different style, so different authors have more appeal to different readers/players. There is a very wide variety in the content of BoE scenarios, despite the similarity in medium, which causes them to have a different feel. (The importance of story v. combat v. environment, the balance and format of combat, the type of story, etc.) I personally liked some BoE scenarios more than I liked Jeff's games, and my opinions about Jeff's games themselves also varly widely.

[ Wednesday, June 21, 2006 16:24: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
Style is exactly what it is, I think, although I've had some trouble pinning down exactly what it is about Jeff's style that gives his works their distinctive feel that I've never gotten from BoE scenarios.

Don't get me wrong: I've liked certain BoE scenarios a lot, even (briefly) more than most parts of Jeff's works. The first half of Emulations comes to mind as one instance in which I had more fun than just about any time ever in an Avernum or Geneforge game.

I just wonder what the specific features of his style are — the structure of the quests, perhaps, or the nature of his dungeons, or whatever — that make it so distinctive.

Maybe part of it is that I haven't played any epic BoE scenarios.

--------------------

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #16
I think a lot of it comes from that the "good designers" have their own personality, style, and feelings of game design. They don't want to write Jeff Vogel's next game, they want to write their own fantasies and have people play them. Call it ego or what have you, but it seems the better the designer you are the less likely you are to want to recreate the essence of the Exile series.

Furthermore, I don't feel reproducing Exile would be a good thing, or even fully achievable as the authors would have to give up their own style to do so. It could work, but would it have any passion? I tend to doubt it.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
For that matter, what makes Exile so special? Yes, I enjoy Exile too, but I'm not about to claim that Jeff's style is the only good one. Alcritas most definitely didn't set out to work with Exile and his results speak quite loudly for themselves.

—Alorael, who has just edited out an unworthy jab at an undeserving target. Apologies.

[ Wednesday, June 21, 2006 19:30: Message edited by: Left Angle Bracket ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00