Curious about something....

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Curious about something....
Apprentice
Member # 6614
Profile #0
Hi, I've been playing spiderweb games since i was like, 10 years old almost. I loved exile and i love avernum. There's always been something I've been curious about...

In playing both avernum and exile there are certain NPC encounters that involve an almost vague reference to homosexuality. My purpose in asking if I am correct is purely curiosity. Im just wondering as well that, if indeed i am correct, why is the "support" or mention of it so obscure and I guess, hidden?

Thanks.

--------------------
It's all fun and happy until you teach a 13 year old gamer how to Leetspeak.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
We on the boards can only guess at Jeff's motives (if you want a direct answer, e-mail him), but there are definitely some gay people (Nance and Elspeth come to mind). My feeling is that it's not entirely accepted in Avernum — people don't really like to broadcast explicitly that they're gay.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
In Upper Avernum in A3 there are a fairly large number of rainbow symbols floating around. I can't remember if this is true in E3 also. If I had to guess I'd say that Jeff veils his references to avoid offending his audience, but a good justification for the game would be the fact that on the surface, at least, homosexuality is grounds for banishment.

—Alorael, who can't think of any characters besides Nance and Elspeth, though. There are the other rainbow people in Upper Avernum but their significant others don't appear.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6614
Profile #3
OK thanks for the info.

--------------------
It's all fun and happy until you teach a 13 year old gamer how to Leetspeak.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
While the topic's been revived, I suppose I may as well mention that A4 seems to imply that Walner is gay.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #5
That was already implied in A3.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Go ahead and slay me for replying to an older topic.

Done? Ok. The isolated hut in A2 (near the Motrax hospital cave) is a safe house for Ethridge and Tori. Sun symbol with a circular rainbow around it adorns the doorway. One bed, if you were curious or slow.

*this message sponsored by melissa and amos?*

One more sighting for you.

[ Monday, January 09, 2006 15:47: Message edited by: Knotty ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty