Exile III multiplayer?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exile III multiplayer?
Apprentice
Member # 6481
Profile #0
Should Exile III be multiplayer (Modem, IPX, Lan, ect. ) because Ive seen crappier games and they have a multiplayer option.
(not including any Spidweb games ^_^ )

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=wrGgBHPcwNFW"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=wrGgBHPcwNFW"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
I like to waste the day away playing my Exile III game, I have many wishes on how to improve it ^_^ .
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I'm tempted just to lock this topic since it's been done so many times before, but I'll be good and let it go. No, Exile III should not be multiplayer, because turn-based games don't translate well into multiplayer mode, especially not the Exile engine. The GF engine could make a reasonable multiplayer game, but it probably never will.

Does it bother anyone else when people write "yea" and mean "yeah"? "Yea" is a different (albeit archaic) word with a different pronunciation and meaning.

[ Thursday, November 24, 2005 08:29: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Yeah (heh), turn-based doesn't really lend itself to multiplayer well. It can work if you make turns very very short, but that has some problems associated with it for an Exile-style game, or you can make turns medium length (a few seconds) and have people suffer through movement.

But basically Kel is right. Yea, Exile Online is an impossibility.

—Alorael, who would like a show of support or disdain for EO. Yea or nay, no abstentions!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #3
chess is turn bases and is multi-player
but they couldnt be more opposite then they are

but in exile whats to stop someone from casting kill or any other spell that can hurt you on your characters

[ Thursday, November 24, 2005 18:25: Message edited by: Shuan Wuan ]

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Chess is a very different game.

—Alorael, who feels like this is spam. The differences betewen chess and Exile are glaringly obvious.
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #5
But an non-turnbased version of chess would be fun.

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I'm tempted just to lock this topic since it's been done so many times before, but I'll be good and let it go. No, Exile III should not be multiplayer, because turn-based games don't translate well into multiplayer mode, especially not the Exile engine. The GF engine could make a reasonable multiplayer game, but it probably never will.

Does it bother anyone else when people write "yea" and mean "yeah"? "Yea" is a different (albeit archaic) word with a different pronunciation and meaning.

I like it when people say "Yea" instead of Yeah. I can pretend to myself they share my liking for archaic English, rather than, you know, being unable to type properly. :P

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Boeing:

But an non-turnbased version of chess would be fun.
Some forms of speed chess are played this way -- you can move as fast as your fingers will allow.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Who ensures that you don't cheat, especially accidentally, and what are the rules for dealing with such cheating? It can become a problem when you're fifteen moves along before your opponent points out your mistake.

—Alorael, who is reminded of a board game entitled Field Marshal. You and an opponent each write down 10 moves and then reveal your moves and make them simultaneously. Among other difficulties, this requires rules for illegal moves discovered after the moves are written. According to the official game rules, the quickest way to legally win is to cheat and accept the penalties.
Apprentice
Member # 6271
Profile #9
Well i think SOME kind of multiplayer game should come out of spiderweb. albeit not an exile game but at least some kind of a game. I know that the brilliant makers of exile can at least have one more trick up their sleeve. can't they?

--------------------
"Playing hide n go seek isn't fair if your the only one wearing nightvision goggles"
-Computer Games Mag
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
No. Maintaining the kind of servers necessary for an online multiplayer game is expensive, and would therefore be a huge financial risk, considering it's a genre of game SW hasn't developed before.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Also, relatedly, Jeff has no experience with the sort of coding that a multiplayer game would require.

[ Monday, November 28, 2005 16:27: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Maintaining the kind of servers necessary for an online multiplayer game is expensive
Perhaps the multiplayer could be made similar to first person shooters and traditional RPG's, where one player starts a game and the others join in. That would eliminate the server cost. Multiplayer doesn't necessarily mean Massively Multiplayer.

</leetness>

[ Wednesday, November 30, 2005 15:55: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
The investment of several years of time required to develop a new game is still a huge risk. Shareware isn't an enormously high-profit field for the amount of work involved. If Jeff makes a game that doesn't sell, he goes out of business, and the best way to guarantee that everything he makes will sell is to keep designing in the same genre.

[ Monday, November 28, 2005 20:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #14
That's true. It doesn't matter how great the game is if it doesn't sell. Kinda reminds me of something the Technology director for my High School said:

"I'm not trying to fix computers, I'm trying to make people happy."

</leetness>

[ Monday, November 28, 2005 20:47: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I think Jeff's real problem is that he doesn't have any guarantee that he can make a good game that isn't an RPG, period. He's said in interviews that sometimes he'd like to try his hand at something else (strategy came up, I think), but that it's a financial risk that he'd rather avoid as long as he can keep churning out relative cash cows.

—Alorael, who still hopes to see Nephil vs. Slith: Battle for Avernum sometime around 2012.
Apprentice
Member # 6383
Profile Homepage #16
Well think about it though... when we rest and all the monsters horde around you you take a group on, one at a time... i think it is possible, but it should be more of a PvC than a PvP... unless Spidweb wants to add a duel function... that'd be hot..
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #17
Of course it would be possible, there are few things that are impossible to code. Either way, it is not going to happen, too much cost versus demand.

At any rate, this topic was dead a week ago...casts 'Dispel Spirit'.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00