Funnist party

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Funnist party
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #0
With games that involve character generation like Avernum, I usually end up playing the first 20mins 2-3 times becuase i realise that i want to use a different party.
Not becuase i decide that this party isnt good enough but to get a party that i think would be more interesting and often more realistic for the sake of role-playing.

My party now:
Human tank (Melee and a bit of bows) Elite warrior, thick skin
Slith priest tank (Pole arms/prist spells) pure spirit
Neph mage/archer with fast on feet/natural mage
human mage/theif with nimble/ natural mage

To me this sounds like the perfect party. I understand that all people have their own preferences, but what characters do you use and why?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
My first two characters are primarily fighters, one with a sword and one with a spear. My last two characters are mages and priests. One of those two casters is also a thief and gets lots of skill point items to so that he doesn't fall behind.

I've tried sliths and I'm underwhelmed. Nephils are better. In fact, nephils are amazing, and I now use four of them despite having duplicate graphics.

Because everyone is a nephi, everyone is an archer even without skill points spent on archery. Camp Samuels only increases this. So does the Sharpshooter bonus from Divinely Touched.

Elite Warrior is a no-brainer for fighters, so I gave that trait to them. The traits that don't give skill bonuses don't seem to be worth the slot anyway.

Nimble fingers is nice for a thief, but my casters need something better. I used to make them Natural Mages and Pure Spirits, but I've found that Divinely Touched is better for Magery and Sharpshooter. Pure Spirit was dropped for being less useful. Priest skill is cheaper than Mage skill and Magical Efficiency is worthless.

The result:
Nephil sword/archer with Elite Warrior and Divinely Touched
Nephil spear/archer with Elite Warrior and Divinely Touched
2x Nephil mage/priest/archer with Natural Mage and Divinely Touched, one of which has Tool Use.

—Alorael, who isn't terribly excited by this party. His original was a nephil sword/archer, a slith sword/thief, and a pair of human mage/priests. Then he discovered that experience penalties are good and ended up with the above, which is better but sadly graphically repetitive.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Well, the party I just finished the game with was:

Human swordsman (Elite Warrior, Fast on Feet)
Nephil archer/priest (Deadeye, Pure Spirit)
Nephil thrower/priest (Deadeye, Pure Spirit)
Human mage/thief (Nimble Fingers, Natural Mage)

Everyone eventually got at least 1 level of Priest Spells, and both priests eventually got enough Mage Spells to cast Icy Rain. It worked well enough. If I were going to make one change to that party, it would have been to make the thrower/priest into either a second archer/priest or a mage/priest, since lugging around dozens of throwables is just a pain.

Knowing what I know now, I can think of a few other changes I'd make as well, but they'd mostly be combat-related optimisations rather than ways to improve playability.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #3
Damn! Another party discussion thread!!
Thet should receive the most posted related topic award!!
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #4
my party is
slith tank(10 melee wepaons and sutff
human archer/thief
nephil priest/archer
human mage

i think thats pretty reasonably balenced

meaning that if one dies during battle
i will still win

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #5
quote:
my party is
human archer/thief
nephil priest/archer
human mage

i think thats pretty reasonably balenced

meaning that if one dies during battle
i will still win

Nephil priest archer? I have never seen that but it might work, but i must say that a priest would always prefer to fry his enemies with a divine fire that jusr pierce one of them with an arrow.

You should use a slith with a pole but maybe it's better with a sword and "sutff"

Considering that i think that the party is balanced too.

But i still don't get the last part, I thought that in most cases you can win a battle after one of your characters die but it's just too annoying, sometimes I use raise dead for keep the game reality but I often reload the game, the trouble is when I forget to save the game and I appear in the game thousands of hours ago.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
My experience with archer/priests is that they're mostly archers early in the game and mostly priests later in the game (once you get Divine Fire, and especially once you get Divine Retribution). It's a surprisingly effective character build.

arghhhhhhhhh, I'd say the major problem with your party is that your thief isn't also a mage. This will bite you in the ass later in the game when locked doors of difficulty 20 or more start showing up routinely and your thief can't cast Unlock Doors on them. If you haven't already invested too many skill points in Tool Use on your archer, turn your mage into a mage/thief instead.

[ Sunday, December 25, 2005 15:07: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
I missed the fact that Tool Use helps with Unlock entirely on my first time through the game and still managed to unlock every door that needs unlocking and some that don't. It's really not that bad not to have a mage/thief.

—Alorael, who also has to question the wisdom of a slith swordsman. Sliths are good at exactly one thing, and you've carefully designed your character to avoid taking advantage of that one thing. (Well, okay. There's fire resistance too, but that's worthless.)
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:

Uh... not only is a slith swordsman a bad choice, but a slith tank is even worse. Since they're never going to be able to hold a shield (assuming that you wise up and switch to spears), they'll take unpleasant amounts of damage until you get Parry and Riposte (or, pending that, Answering Gauntlets). And those take a while.

And I agree with Alo about the non-mage thief. I managed to get a thief up to 28 Tool Use, while keeping them very proficient in Bows and half-decent with a blade. The mage aspect just makes it easier...

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.