buying spells vs. finding spell books

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: buying spells vs. finding spell books
Apprentice
Member # 9942
Profile #0
Hi,

Can someone explain the difference between buying spells + improvements vs. finding spellbooks in dungeons? I notice that when I find a spell in a dungeon I still get the options to buy it and improve it. It seems kind of odd that I have to pay for it even though I already learned it to be able to improve it.

On a similar note, I notice that the learning a spell message is something like "Your skill with <whatever> +1". Does that mean if I've already bought and improved the spell that it will get even more improved?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by btmorex:

Can someone explain the difference between buying spells + improvements vs. finding spellbooks in dungeons? I notice that when I find a spell in a dungeon I still get the options to buy it and improve it. It seems kind of odd that I have to pay for it even though I already learned it to be able to improve it.
You can always buy up to 2 levels in each spell, regardless of how many levels you got by means other than buying it. Paying to improve a spell you already know is almost never worth it: the only effect will be a tiny increase in the spell's effectiveness, equivalent to one extra point of Spellcraft or Magery.

quote:
On a similar note, I notice that the learning a spell message is something like "Your skill with <whatever> +1". Does that mean if I've already bought and improved the spell that it will get even more improved?
Yes, but as above, only by a small amount.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 9942
Profile #2
Thanks. Makes sense now. After you've already learned a spell I think the text at a trainer should always read "improve the spell" to make it clear.