Is possible?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Is possible?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #25
Canadians tend to speak English or French. Suriname and Guyana are South American and not Spanish-Speaking. French Guiana is actually part of France, but it's in the Americas and not a very Spanish place.

I acknowledge that everyone on the two continents labeled America could be called American, but the term is used for people from the United States of America. The problem is with the country's name: "United States" isn't unique to the USA. America isn't either, but at least there's no other country that goes by that name. And honestly, "estadounidense" is an absurd word that becomes even more ridiculous in English. Unitedstatesian?

—Alorael, who doesn't see what's offensive about residents of Canada being North American and Canadian, residents of Chile being South American and Chilean, and residents of the USA being North American and American. There is only a problem of ambiguity if one is unnecessarily manufactured or if for some reason there is a need to talk about all residents of the Americas.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #26
Good, I have a question.. Where are you supposed to be from? :confused: I always have wandered about that...

Y la palabra estadounidense no tiene nada de malo...bueno en ingles si es bastante fea :D para hacerla mas corta mejor simplemente decir gringo... :rolleyes:
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
Soy de los EEUU. Se rumorea que vivo en Alaska, pero los rumores no siempre tienen razón.

—Alorael, who thinks estadounidense just has too many syllables at seven. Americano is only five syllables. Gringo is, of course, a lovely two, but it's also sometimes used for Europeans.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #28
De donde eres entonces? esto de que hables español es una sorpresa! o talvez alguien te ayude, talvez, quien sabe...
Y los gringos por lo menos aqui son solo los AMERICANS no los europeos...
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #29
It may be different out east and closer to the border, but here the country is almost always referred to as 'The US' or 'The States'. I can't remember the last time someone called it America.

It probably should be the other way around, if you think about it. The provinces bicker much more that the states do.

--------------------
Nothing in the world is so incontinent as a man's accursed appetite.
- Homer

Ahh, beer... I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.
- Homer Simpson
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
Mantengo una aura de misterio. No puedo romperla aun en español. Pero aprendí español en la escuela y evidentemente he tenido maestros excelentes. Trato de mantener mi habilidad de leerlo y escribirlo como y cuando es posible, pero ya apenas puedo hablar.

—Alorael, who can live with being a gringo as long as it's unambiguous. Come to think of it, though, he's never heard of anyone being called a gringa...

Pages