Dumb question?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Dumb question?
Apprentice
Member # 6837
Profile #0
Forgive the newb for this easy question:

Is there a way to identify the mobs you come accross aside from what they look like?

I was flailing around yesterday (my first day with the demo, btw) trying to find a way to click on a monster and get information about it. Command-clicking it doesn't seem to do it and there's nothing about that in the help .pdf.

A 1000 pardons for the newb please.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Hold down Tab. That ought to do it.

(That confused me for quite a while as well... it was annoying not knowing which bats were lava bats.)

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 6837
Profile #2
Aha...never tried Tab in combat.

Does it also give you info other than names though? Bah...I'll find out tonight.

Thanks for the input.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
There's no way to learn more than a monster's name, appearance, and roughly what percentage of its health it has left but the hard way.

—Alorael, who wouldn't overlook names. Once you get used to the naming system it's surprisingly easy to guess when you want to hit something hard and when you want to fry it from afar. Hint: spikes are bad. So are chitrachs.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Born Yesterday:

There's no way to learn more than a monster's name, appearance, and roughly what percentage of its health it has left but the hard way.

The hard way being?

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #5
I believe it falls into the category of "things we're not allowed to talk about here".

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 02:10: Message edited by: Dallerdin with a custom moniker. ]

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Actually, I believe he meant "fighting it and seeing what it does to you", which is indeed a hard way.

Besides, talking about what's in the scripts isn't against the Code of Conduct anyway. (Not that looking in the scripts is necessarily helpful, since comments are a little patchy.)

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 02:23: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
The hard way is saving, attacking with experimentation, and reloading. Scripts are probably the harder way in most cases.

—Alorael, who learned the hard way that just because you can beat it up doesn't always mean you should.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Born Yesterday:

—Alorael, who learned the hard way that just because you can beat it up doesn't always mean you should.
I've found just as often that it's "Just because you can beat up on it doesn't mean that the next one won't beat up on you."

Sometimes, though... it was better to kill things on sight rather than wait for them to attack you. The Spiral Crypt comes to mind... if you don't try to kill stuff ahead of time, you will pay for it.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
Yes the spiral crypt is certainly a difficult place to escape if you don't kill all undead, even the ones that aren't moving. My party took quite a beating there. Only one character escaped to a nearby town.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 6837
Profile #10
Yes...the hard way: F3, attack, lose a party member, F4

I'm new to this game, but I learned F3 and F4 super quick. ;)