should i get avernum...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: should i get avernum...
Apprentice
Member # 5925
Profile #0
i was considering getting avernum, so i just wonder, do you guys think i should get one of the earlier ones first, or just stick with avernum 4 if its better...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
If you're starting afresh without any prior knowledge of Spiderweb games (or if you've played Exile or Nethergate but not Avernum), I strongly recommend starting with A1 or A2. If you're coming from one of the Geneforges, I recommend going straight to A4, which will be more familiar.

But you can play the demos and see for yourself. They're all pretty representative of their respective games.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
The beginning of A2's demo is representative, but as soon as you hop on a boat you get an experience very different from just about everything else in any Avernum.

—Alorael, who made a grievous error in forgetting to append his signature. Still, one out of 10,000 ain't bad. (Slightly more, really, but who's counting?)

[ Wednesday, February 15, 2006 20:23: Message edited by: Sergeant-at-Arms ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
What, no sig?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #4
I started with 3 (it was OS X, I believe), and I believe A2 is OS X ready, so start there :)

--------------------
fishing
Apprentice
Member # 1952
Profile #5
Play them in order its alot more fun
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

What, no sig?
He's going to change it once he notices, I'm sure. And we will never have seen his post as it was without the sig, because the sig was always there.

Meanwhile, for posterity:

quote:
Originally written by Sergeant-at-Arms:

The beginning of A2's demo is representative, but as soon as you hop on a boat you get an experience very different from just about everything else in any Avernum.
Although I suppose I could have subconsciously edited the sig out.

Or Alo could consciously edit it in, later.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #7
I've yet to play A4 (March is coming too slowly!), yet I don't think it will be a problem to play it first. Jeff did a pretty good job in A2 and A3 summarizing what came first. Personally, I played the A3 demo first, and had few problems figuring out the history.

It all boils down to how much money (and time) you want to spend. If you just want to buy one game, I'd recommend downloading the trilogy demos, then playing A4. I've found the quality of the games have increased as the series went on, and (hopefully) A4 is even better.

--------------------
I've seem to misplaced my sanity. Have you seen it?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
You quoted my post and didn't quote the signature. What's so amazing about that?

[edit: capitalizatioN]

—Alorael, who will have you know that he has had better men than you expelled from the Politburo and airbrushed out of pictures.

[ Wednesday, February 15, 2006 20:24: Message edited by: Sergeant-at-Arms ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1115
Profile Homepage #9
Actually, if you play A4 before A3, then you'll pretty much have to get a fair amount of A3's plot spoiled for you. This is rather more of a problem for A3 in particular than A1 (which doesn't have any real plot) or A2 (which has a predictable plot once you finish the first two chapters, which are themselves in the demo).

--------------------
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -Porkypine
Derakon's Library
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #10
Start from the bigining, meaning play A1 first.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.