Slow on ... well, to be expected?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Slow on ... well, to be expected?
Apprentice
Member # 3813
Profile Homepage #0
Alright, hate to post this, but one of the many things I've always loved about Spiderweb games is their low system requirements. I played every Exile game on a Mac LC, and never once noticed performance issues.

But Avernum 4 seems rather sluggish on my meek Mac 800 MHz G3. Compared to Blades of Avernum and Geneforge it's really sluggish - I'm sure compared to the latest bloatware game from my local Apple store, though.

Anyone else notice this? Am I still in the dark ages running an 800 MHz G3? The mouse tracks across the screen very slowly, though movement is a little better.

Anyway ... can't complain. Price is always right on a Spiderweb game and I really enjoy playing them. If nothing else, this is another reason to pick up a new Intel Mac early next year!

[ Monday, December 12, 2005 18:53: Message edited by: Joel Sanda ]
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #1
I am running a 300mhz G3.

Change your mouse scrolling speed. Give it more memory. It's going to need at least 128 megs of real ram.

I had problems with the game running when I had virtual memory turned on.

Turn other programs off.

And make sure you update your video drivers.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #2
Video drivers for this? Heh.

I've never found Jeff's newer engines to be terribly efficient; when I was using my upgraded-to-G3 400MHz system Geneforge and BoA had some noticeable slowdown points.
If it helps you any, sometimes when traveling long distances it burps on my 1.5 G5.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Apprentice
Member # 3813
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

Video drivers for this? Heh.

I've never found Jeff's newer engines to be terribly efficient; when I was using my upgraded-to-G3 400MHz system Geneforge and BoA had some noticeable slowdown points.
If it helps you any, sometimes when traveling long distances it burps on my 1.5 G5.

Yeah, with my RAM (I know one can never have enough, but ...) at 256 MB I was hoping I could keep skating on the G3 iBook through a good chunk of 2006 - I want an Intel-based Mac but I also want to wait about six months so those less patient experience the first growing pains ;-).

When I was in the Goblin area just SW of Fort Monastery it ran about as slow as Neverwinter Nights did when I played that - which was uncomfortable on a G3 iBook.

But if you notice some creepiness on a 1.5 G5 ... well ... guess I won't complain too loudly with my G3!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
It only hiccoughs for me when loading, and otherwise with proper settings it really runs just fine on my 450 Mhz G4 Cube. I'm not sure the engine is elegant, as there's strong anecdotal evidence of absurd artifacts from past games in Jeff's oevre, but it's not that bad!

—Alorael, who will say that on his Cube he moved mostly by keyboard and didn't do anything too fancy. He'll also admit that it was slower than other Avernums, although not painfully so.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00