Difficulty switch bug

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Difficulty switch bug
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
Has anyone else encountered this?

Occasionally, the game difficulty resets to normal when I start up a game which was saved under a different difficulty. I don't know what causes this, and I can't consistently recreate it, so it's hard to document, but I'm 100% sure it's happened to me repeatedly.

Also, the difficulty options in the Preferences window and in the Edit Party window don't always seem to be in sync. Sometimes changing one will change the other. Sometimes it won't, and it's easy to get them to disagree as to what the difficulty level is. The Edit Party option seems to be mostly irrelevant to the game, except that it usually (but not always!) changes the value in the Preferences window if you change it when starting a new game.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #1
Doesn't this belong in the 'Tech Support' section?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
It's fine here.

I never noticed this, because I played the whole game on Normal (or so I thought...).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
I just opened my most recent savefile (at the very end of the game), and sure enough the difficulty was still correctly set to Torment. I hadn't touched the difficulty settings since the start of the game. So if it does occur randomly, it can't occur very often -- or it might be triggered by opening the preferences window or something, which I also don't do very often.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
You don't have to open the prefs window. It's happened to me at least twice on fresh starts of the application, going straight to loading the quicksave. Playing under Easy gives you a substantial bonus to your dodge score (actually, I think the enemy levels may just all be reduced, so they all have lower to-hit scores), and as a singleton with high dodge, it's extremely noticeable when this bonus goes away.

As I said, though, I can't recreate it, so I don't know what caused it.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #5
I wonder if it could be a corrupted Prefs file? I never noticed this happen to me through three entire games now.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Both times you observed the problem, it was after loading a quicksave? Hmm. I never use Quicksave, so maybe that's where the problem lies. Unlikely, but possible.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!