A4 mass non-appearing items in containers bug

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A4 mass non-appearing items in containers bug
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
On a lark, I started playing A4 again with a fresh copy of the Universal Mac version. Everything went fine until I got to Fort Draco. Then (following a quit and reopen between playing sessions) every container -- cabinet, chest, pot, etc. -- that I looked in was completely empty.

This has now continued through the Draco farmlands, all the Draco mines, and Tolliver's hideout. I know I'm not just forgetting that there were three entire zones with vacuous cabinets.

It also doesn't play a sound on opening a container for the first time, though I can't remember now if it used to or if I'm just thinking of G4.

If I go back to earlier areas, everything that was in containers before is still there. This is really strange, and fairly disconcerting. The game has been behaving normally otherwise.

SW/HW specs:
MacBook / 2 GHz Intel Duo / 1gb ddr2 sdram
OS X 10.4.6
Avernum 4 v1.0.3 Universal Binary (registered)

The files in the Data folder don't show any obvious signs of distress, i.e., they are all there. I've been playing off the hard drive with nothing else running.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #1
Nobody has reported this problem, and, since the game has been out for months and finding no items tends to get peoples' attention, I suspect it's not a bug.

Uninstall. Trash the game files (except for the saved game folders). Redownload. Reinstall. Go back to a saved game from before the disappearing items happened.

Also, did you use the return to start cheat? I've heard that that can cause this problem. I thought I fixed that bug, but maybe not ...

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
I *did* use backtostart, and right about that time, too. I was too lazy to walk through all those empty zones twice when I could just do it once. Serves me right, I suppose.

Bleh.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #3
This is my fault. I thought that this bug was fixed in the newest version of Avernum 4, but it's only fixed on the Windows side. I'll make sure to fix it in the next Mac update.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com