alternative keyboard layout support?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: alternative keyboard layout support?
Apprentice
Member # 7268
Profile #0
I've checked around the website, and the games help file, also checked the options and the programs folder itself. I've also searched the forum. There is no apparent way to switch the keyboad layout for avernum 4 (or your other games, as far as I can tell). I have manually set the keyboard layout with the operating system, but Avernum 4 appears to ignore it and default to the QWERTY layout.

I use a DVORAK keyboard and the settings within the OS are set properly for that type of layout (double checked, and when all else failed, I googled it, still no luck) and it would appear like it should work, yet it does not.

I would be very thankful if someone knows of a way to make avernum 4 read the keyboard layout that the OS has, rather then continually default to QWERTY. Or with the next update/patch, have it implemented, if possible. If not, I'll have to suffer through it. haha

[ Friday, June 30, 2006 14:28: Message edited by: jeremyhfht ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
I believe you will just have to live with QWERTY. I don't believe Jeff will take the time to support alternate keyboards.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7268
Profile #2
Ah but see, he could just do what most programs do. Let the operating system decide it. I'm sure it would be less work then programming in the keyboard layout manually. Then again, what he could do, is allow the user to redefine the key definitions. DosBox (a dos game emulator) does this, and although it's time consuming on the poor users part, it works. Although, I think I'm probably not getting how it's done, since I've never had to do it (that and my "coding" experience is almost zero. Hah).
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I think he's just using whatever is default in his coding program, which is probably the QWERTY setting. It would take adding some extra code (although not a lot) to use the OS's keyboard.

And hey, he could support Unicode, so we could make BoA scenarios in Arabic or Chinese or Mycenaean Greek or something.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #4
I am at the mercy of the DirectX (Windows) and the MacOS here. The calls the OSes provide to watch the keyboard for events, as far as I know, don't provide a lot of support for other keyboard layouts. I think the Mac has some calls that might do this for me, but they have other problems that make them unsuitable for use in games.

I could implement DVORAK keyboards within the game myself. It hasn't happened so far because ... because ... well, I've been lazy, I guess.

Can anyone point me to a good translation chart between QWERTY and DVORAK keyboards? If I had that, I might be able to implement it in Geneforge 4 and later games.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
You could look here.

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 7268
Profile #6
Thanks. And, I'm not sure, but MAC should support DVORAK keyboards. There are basically two main keyboard layouts that most everybody uses (well, QWERTY is the main one). QWERTY and DVORAK. I googled it for the mac OS and it would appear like it supports DVORAK as well, but since I don't have a mac, I'm not 100% positive.

Edit: If you want a side by side thing, go here: http://www.webopedia.com/FIG/DVORAK.gif

[ Friday, June 30, 2006 14:25: Message edited by: jeremyhfht ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Jeff, if you do decide to add support for Dvorak keyboards, you might as well add support for European keyboard layouts like AZERTY and QWERTZ while you're at it (although you'll only need to add support for QWERTZ if you ever use Y or Z as a hotkey in any of your games). Judging by the composition of the forums, you have quite a few customers in Europe.

[ Friday, June 30, 2006 17:38: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
I've seen Mac OS 9 with Dvorak added to it, although I don't know how. OS X has Dvorak along with a bewildering assortment of layouts and alphabets I've never heard of.

—Alorael, who did take the opportunity to add Hebrew to his keyboard palette a while ago. It doesn't come in handy very often, but he still has high hopes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
&#x10034&#x1002A&#x10021

I take I'm going to have to hold off on having signs in Linear B in my BoA scenario set on ancient Crete? :P

[ Friday, June 30, 2006 18:06: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 7268
Profile #10
Now now guys, don't swamp him too much. Haha. if he adds it he'll add it. if not, we can always hunt him down and eat him. <.< >.>
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
How about ASCII art Linear B?

—Alorael, who has experienced an ASCII first-person shooter. It was unique. It was also not an experience worth extending.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

&#x10034&#x1002A&#x10021

I take I'm going to have to hold off on having signs in Linear B in my BoA scenario set on ancient Crete? :P

Couldn't these be implemented as graphics?

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
quote:

&#x10034&#x1002A&#x10021

Yep. I guess you'll just have to redesign your scenario to make it more non-Linear.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

quote:

&#x10034&#x1002A&#x10021

Couldn't these be implemented as graphics?

Wow. I like this idea. I like it enough that I might actually do it. I was just kidding before, but now I'm intrigued. Look at what you've done.

EDIT: Thuryl, that was so punny that it hurt.

[ Saturday, July 01, 2006 06:58: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------