Blades of Geneforge

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Blades of Geneforge
Apprentice
Member # 5574
Profile #25
well, the complexity of making the program. I'm not sure of the situation, but as a programmer i can only imagine how long it would take to find that bug. I've done small ones and looked for hours at the program trying to find out why the big things wouldn't work. As far as the community goes, he was probably just planning on the avernum editor as being a replacement for the blades of exile one, but still, having explained possibilities, he still owed those who support the games the help they need.

--------------------
I'd never forgive myself if i tainted perfection
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #26
It's a good thing that something like The Lyceum exists.

I'm not a programmer, and each time I've tried to make a scenario, I'm so scared that I stop. I've mapped a couple, but only on paper.

Knowing that an Editor is bugged and the makers of that editor don't care much about those problems may work as an obstacle for anybody wanting to create an scenario using that editor. Some members of this community may not even know that there are alternative places where they can go to seek information and help.

BoA has had a patch or two (I don't know if they helped or not), but after playing both Exiles and Averna (thanks TM) I think that if I ever conquered my fear and designed an scenario I might end up choosing BoE. I like the 2d look. Avernum looks fine, but sometimes it bothers me.

A Blades of Geneforge (you think Blades as a name is apporpiate? would Shapes of Genforge be too dumb a name?) might be interesting.

One thing I always wonder when I play the GF games is: what is going on in the world? We hear bits and pieces only.

As creative and brilliant as this community can when making scenarios, I get goosebumps when I think what they could do if they put their brains together to work on expanding the world of Geneforge (what is the name of the world, btw?)

If the Geneforge Editor proved malleable enough to allow a lot of customization, then. . . wow.

As for the Avernum 4 coming after BoA. . . aside from whatever disgust it may cause me, I see this as the relationship that exist between Lucas and his licensed products:

Lucas has complete control over the films in his saga, and has left the other products on their own. Those who have written the books have created some kind of organic universe. A book by one author may refer to characters/events created by another writer. It's been years since I've read a SW book, because I got tired of them, so I don't know if this true anymore.

So, the Blades communities have their own life which, pretty much, Jeff ignores. This also includes the works done concerning Emerian's story.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Betamax sales collapsed.:

I'm not a programmer, and each time I've tried to make a scenario, I'm so scared that I stop. I've mapped a couple, but only on paper.
I worked on the basic idea for my scenario for a year or more before BoA came out, and up until early January of this year it fleshed out nicely. However, when I came to using the editor to put the towns together, I found the interface very awkward and the crude graphics made it very difficult to see exactly what I was doing. It would take me hours to try to get a single buliding done, because I would have to constantly re-load the scenario in the BoA game to see how these crude graphics translated into 3D. Even though I was using the BoA Cookbook (an excellent document!) it was impossible. Mind you, I'm not terribly good with spatial relationships to begin with, and am not very technically minded, so some of these problems are something I would encounter regardless of how easy to use the editor was.

So my rich scenario died a miserable death just as it was being put together. I hope the new editor being developed by various people is finished some day so that I can have better tools for completing it — for one thing, from what I read it'll have the 3D mode which will speed things up considerably. But I'm very sad that I won't be able to enter mine in the scenario contest.

[ Saturday, March 05, 2005 11:54: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Warrior
Member # 5289
Profile #28
Err.. 3D BoA editor has already been out both on Mac and Win. Win version is beta now, but we think we can make it version 1.0, because there is no error report for three weeks.
Please download it from next link.

Project: BoA Editor Remake on SourceForge.net

We are making new editor reconstructing 3D editor now to add more functions, such as copy paste, and improve user interface.
We hope our source code for new BoA editor will help JV to make Geneforge editor.

[ Monday, March 07, 2005 10:17: Message edited by: Notus ]

--------------------
Project: BoA Editor Remake on SourceForge.net
supports "3D BoA Editor" (Mac and Win), and creates advanced BoA Editor.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Notus:

Err.. 3D BoA editor has already been out both on Mac and Win.
Quite right. What I should've said is that I'm going to wait for a much better editor all around, that will feature the copy & paste function, etc., in addition to the already developed 3D editing mode.
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

The problem with releasing a scenario editor and then releasing another game in the series afterward is that by releasing a scenario editor, he is basically giving us the world he created. Then, by releasing another game afterward, there's a very good chance that what he releases will directly contradict what the scenarios say.
Why is it that Ambrosia Software manage to make games with editors (the Escape Velocity series) that generate huge numbers of scenarios that are generally mutually contradictory and they are still wildly popular, but here there is an obsession that all scenarios must fit into a seamless whole?

I find the distinction between the two communities striking.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
It's probably to do with the fact that BoE/BoA has a large pre-established canon in the Exile/Avernum trilogy, and also the fact that there are a very small number of well-respected designers who actually work within the Exile/Avernum universe, which tends to make their ideas the gold standard.

(If you make scenarios that are tangentially linked to the Exile/Avernum continuity or outside it entirely, as plenty of excellent designers do, well, then obviously nobody minds what direction you take the plot in.)

[ Monday, March 07, 2005 15:37: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #32
Ambrosia Software also is extremely different in many other ways. It is far easier to make an EV plug-in than a BoA scenario. Ambrosia's employees actually read their boards and participate quite regularly. And any number of other differences are there, too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Ambrosia Software also is extremely different in many other ways. It is far easier to make an EV plug-in than a BoA scenario.
That's true if you just want to add a few missions. For plugins that add new ships or weapons (i.e. most large plugins) you need to do a hell of a lot more graphical work than you do for BoE.

But now we're going off-topic.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #34
i see nothing wrong with a GF4 or A3 after the blades came out and i dont see why others should get mad
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #35
Wow. Um, you know there's already an Avernum 3, that there won't be a Blades of Geneforge for at least a few more years, and that the discontent from some members of the community was therefore about releasing Avernum 4 after BoA, right? Come back when you have your facts straight and are no longer drunk, please? :P

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #36
this is gonna seem stupid but i have to let it out

geneforge 3 mine mine mine give it to me now now now

ok I'm done
Warrior
Member # 5531
Profile #37
Well, us Windows users have to wait "2-3 months" for Geneforge 3

--------------------
Trouser Snake.
Mustakrakish.

Infiltrators? No. Agents? YES!!
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #38
quote:
3D editor now to add more functions, such as copy paste
quote:
such as copy paste
um you can already do that just press command c and then command v and walla you can past ;)
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #39
Really? With the original Spiderweb editor? So you can like select a section of the map, copy it to the clipboard, and then paste it down somewhere else? Well, paint me gray and slap me sideways! I'll have to tinker with the editor some more. I don't know how I could have missed that.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #40
That works for Mac, but not Windows (Windows dialog boxes automatically disable keyboard shortcuts as well as menus).

Oh, and it only works for text in dialog boxes, not terrains and stuff.

[ Friday, March 11, 2005 17:41: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #41
not an entire part of the map just stuff like monsters and items
sorry if i misunderstood
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #42
Oh. Phooey.

Yes, it's with things like wanting to move a whole building to the left a few spaces that I'm wanting to do, along with the floors and terrains beneath the structure. As it is, I had to redraw the entire buidling one bit at a time to move it at all.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #43
Holy god. Copy and paste DOES work for objects (items, monsters). That would have made several parts of Bahs SO MUCH EASIER.

I guess I was just too used to the BoE editor, which had a specific button for such a thing.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages